Menu

What bios have you had your highschooler read?

I want them to be people of high moral character and hopefully have done something to benefit humanity.  The first one they are reading is Eleanor Roosevelt to go along with their history, but I don't want only "American History" tied.  I don't have time to preread every one they read, so was hoping someone had some suggestions about well written, interesting vs. those books that come in a large set at the library that kids use for book reports. Does that make sense?  I am not a well read person in this area, but it is a goal for me for them to have been exposed to some fantastic people that may or may not be well known, but exemplified strong character.

Entertaining/ interesting/ memorable is more important than a super detailed life history.

Edited by saraha

Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)- long read, but a good one.

South (Ernest Shackelton) (and check out Frank Hurley's photos-- makes it all come alive even more.  This bio has some of the photos.)

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt  - part of a trilogy, if you get the urge to keep going

John Adams (by David McCullough) - another long read, but a good one.  OR you could watch the mini-series instead.... :leaving:

• Like 2

Here are some biographies and autobiographies that my older daughter has read:

J. R. R. Tolkien: A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter

The Bronte Sisters: The Brief Lives of Charlotte, Emily and Anne by Catherine Reef

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin

Charles Dickens by Michael Slater

Richard the Third by Paul Kendall

Players: The Mysterious Identity of William Shakespeare by Bertram Fields

She also be reading these:

Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas by Frederick Douglas

• Like 1

I want them to be people of high moral character and hopefully have done something to benefit humanity.  The first one they are reading is Eleanor Roosevelt to go along with their history, but I don't want only "American History" tied.  I don't have time to preread every one they read, so was hoping someone had some suggestions about well written, interesting vs. those books that come in a large set at the library that kids use for book reports. Does that make sense?  I am not a well read person in this area, but it is a goal for me for them to have been exposed to some fantastic people that may or may not be well known, but exemplified strong character.

Entertaining/ interesting/ memorable is more important than a super detailed life history.

Here are a few that my son has read over 10th-11th grade. Some he liked better than others but they were all thought-provoking. Some of these are pretty Christian-specific, though I think that Wilberforce and Bonhoeffer are of general interest.

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys by Micheal Collins

Francis Schaeffer: An Authentic Life by Colin Duriez

The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson

God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

Churchill by Paul Johnson

End of the Spear by Steve Saint

He's read other excellent biographies, but I don't think Hitler or Stalin fit your criteria!

• Like 1