Menu

8th Grade Science & Math Question

Joyfullyblessed

Hello,

I wanted to get some advice please on what I should do for 8th with my son next year. I'm specifically needing help with science & math.

Currently, for math, my son does CLE 7. He does very well with this curriculum & we have used it for several years. CLE breaks pre-algebra up over two years, so CLE 8 will be the second half.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead & order CLE 8 & have him work on that throughout the summer, so that he might be able to begin Algebra 1 in 8th as well. I'm thinking we will use Derek Owens for Algebra 1. Or, should I just have him do CLE next year and then Algebra one for ninth?

Derek Owens also has the physical science class that I'm considering for my son in 8th grade, but I'm also considering earth science for 8th too. I'm just not sure which to do.

If I do earth science, I'll pick a different curriculum & then do Derek Owens physical science in 9th. I looked at the Real Science for Kids "focus on" series & felt my son would really enjoy doing two to three of those courses next year, but then I'm reading that they may be too easy or lacking information he may really need to help him later on in high school. I'm looking at BJU Earth Science as well with the distance online learning.

So many choices..... THIS is why I need some help, advice, suggestions, etc.....

Thank you!

My DD is currently in 8th.  We're doing CLE Algebra 1 and didn't do CLE last year. So far, she's doing well with it, but we definitely go over any problem areas when they arise.

For science, we're doing The Joy of Science through Great Courses Plus.  I purchased the corresponding textbook used from Amazon.  It's an integrated science course covering Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Science.  I also supplement with other documentaries.  DD keeps a science notebook with her assignments/essays. She also takes the online quizzes.  Since this is a 60-lecture college course, I've broken it down to do half the lectures this year and half next year.  At the end of next year, she will get one science credit which I will title Integrated Science.

What are your math goals? I had planned on mine doing Alg. in 8th, but when we got there, I thought about their high school plans. My current 9th grader has a liberal arts/language arts focus. It isn't STEM. So we took a bit more relaxed time with preAlgebra and Algebra, and she is wrapping up Alg. 1 in 9th.  If she does 4 years of math in high school, she'll get plenty starting from Alg in 9th. If she does 3, she'll still be fine for what she is going to study in college. 

My DD is currently in 8th. We're doing CLE Algebra 1 and didn't do CLE last year. So far, she's doing well with it, but we definitely go over any problem areas when they arise.

For science, we're doing The Joy of Science through Great Courses Plus. I purchased the corresponding textbook used from Amazon. It's an integrated science course covering Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Science. I also supplement with other documentaries. DD keeps a science notebook with her assignments/essays. She also takes the online quizzes. Since this is a 60-lecture college course, I've broken it down to do half the lectures this year and half next year. At the end of next year, she will get one science credit which I will title Integrated Science.

Can you link to the corresponding textbook?

Strong math students can usually go from CLE 7 to Algebra 1 without problems. I would see if Derek Owens has a placement test and do that before doing CLE 8. He may can go straight on in. If not, CLE has geometry and business math included. Maybe you could go through and just do the Algebra sections.

What are you using for science now and for last year?

I want to thank each of you for the responses.  I will look at the placement testing on DO, but I have also read that it is very important for students to complete a full pre-algebra course as well.  I would not say my son is a strong math student, more average.  As far as science, he has done BJU through a university model school.  This is why I am considering it as an option even though he won't be attending the school for 8th grade.  The only thing is that the BJU online program is very expensive and you don't even get to keep the dvd's from what I have read.  

The more I think about everything, I believe that I may just allow my son to finish out CLE pre-algebra by doing the 800 course.  I think that would help him to feel more confident when going into Algebra 1 in 9th grade.  I'm not sure what science I will do yet though.  Thankfully, I have time to figure it out. :)