Menu

Midwest Homeschool Convention--anyone planning to go?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I just booked a room. Every year I want to go, but every year it conflicts with another trip we take. This year, we're not taking our usual trip, so I think I'm going to treat myself to the convention (and a few days rest, probably!). Now I just have to tackle my driving anxiety (fear of having another panic attack makes me nervous driving in unknown places, which of course raises my overall anxiety level, which contributes to...panic attacks  :glare:). But I think I can make it work, as long as I'm alone in the car.

So is anyone else planning on going? Any reviews on past conferences? I was considering going to the secular conference gearing up in WV in June, but that one does conflict with our big annual extended family vacation, so I don't think I can make it work. 

I'd love to hear others' experiences with this event  :bigear:

Yes, I'll be there. I think I've only missed one since it began. I'm looking forward to it because I get to tack a few days on before and after and manage to get a real break from the kids. Until last week I was planning on bringing two of my teens with me but they've decided there are too many baseball activities they would miss. I'm not admitting it to them but am very happy to leave them at home 😀.

• Like 1

I was thinking of going. I'm really only going for the curriculum hall and prefer a secular one. I'm thinking of taking either my dad or my brother so they can see how many options we have. I'm absolutely not taking the kids though. Do you know if Thursday afternoon will be free entrance to the exhibit hall?

I've always gone, sigh, so I'll probably break down and go. In the past we've done board get togethers, which are fun. Didn't do one last year, but definitely feel free to write people and make happen any meet-ups you like. I think last year I just went for the one day. They did a vendor hall only pass for like $10. Actually I can't remember, wow. They usually have a free evening and then announce a vendor hall only pass. 

I'm sorta at the place with my ds (my only one left) where a lot doesn't benefit me. He has so many SLDs and SN that he's just sort of on his own planet. Even the vendor hall is hardly worth it for him, and I end up wondering why I'm there. But I'll probably go. 

Really, the hall is HUGE. Almost anyone homeschooling should find SOMETHING useful. My ds just has autism and dyslexia/dyscalculia/dysgraphia and is gifted, so everything is too hard or too easy or too advanced or too something. But for any just typical family, you should find a ton. Now it *has* been ravaged a bit by the competition with the Teaching Them Diligently convention. TTD linked up with CHEO and has been working hard on their more distinctly christian event. GHC is sort of mixed and should appeal to both secular and religious. 

I always have a great time when I go. It's a great venue, with terrific food options on the square. If you go early and eat Graeter's ice cream, maybe get a La Rosa's pizza (wow, wow), stay at the Hyatt, like you really can't go wrong! I like all three hotels, but the Hyatt is definitely the best. (Shhh...)  Well now you're making me wonder why I don't have a reservation! But we have a really good gig going with our stuff and probably don't need to. But I always recant and end up going. :D

• Like 1

Now it *has* been ravaged a bit by the competition with the Teaching Them Diligently convention. TTD linked up with CHEO and has been working hard on their more distinctly christian event. GHC is sort of mixed and should appeal to both secular and religious. 

I didn't realize until yesterday that this year the two are the same dates.  I had told the kids I would look into all of us going to the TTD since it's at the water park and I'm a bit surprised that they are scheduled against each other.  The last time I checked, TTD was later in the spring/early summer.

• Like 1

I didn't realize until yesterday that this year the two are the same dates.  I had told the kids I would look into all of us going to the TTD since it's at the water park and I'm a bit surprised that they are scheduled against each other.  The last time I checked, TTD was later in the spring/early summer.

Hmm, I had missed that too! I hadn't really looked at either closely, lol. Well now I'll have to go look. I'm not sure what their thought process is there, but I think people, for the most part, go to one or the other. It's not really a big deal, in that sense, to go head to head and let it just happen. Blood bath and brawl and free market and all that. :D

• Like 1

Since our convention was canceled this year (St. Louis) I might consider attending this one.  Do you think it would be worth it just for the vendor hall and some mommy alone time?  I really just like to browse and put my hands on things (that sounds creepy).  I won't attend any seminars.

Actually the Great Homeschool Convention is doing a small one in STL this year. It was just announced a few days ago. https://www.greathomeschoolconventions.com/locations/missouri/