Menu

Logic picture books? K/1st

lulalu

I am searching for picture books that cover some logic, thinking skills for k-1st. I want to casually introduce logic without using a workbook. Something I can add to our morning basket time.

We don't have access to an English library so I need to buy several books to last us a year.

From a classical education standpoint, logic is usually covered in the logic stage which starts around 5th grade. If I were you, I would shelve it until at least 4th grade. I just don't see it having value at K-1st.  There should be problem solving type things in their math, and that is good enough IMO.

What type of logic skills? There are piles of picture books with things like kids who imagine the worst and eventually experience a more likely, mundane event. Some books include some spatial reasoning. Most of these are pretty indirect.

Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus by Royal Fireworks Press offers questions based upon Bloom's Taxonomy, including logic-based discussion questions. The questions are for books that are commonly available in English, including many fairy/folk tales.

I've found games a better introduction to early logic. Rush Hour, Balance Beans, Pirate Hide and Seek, Logic Links, Laser Maze, Chess, Dragonwood, Checkers, Connect Four, and so many others involve an introduction to logic skills.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I came across this book, Deductive Detective,  and thought of you ... I have no personal experience with it, though.

I came back to this thread to un-suggest this book.  I checked it out from the library this week, and I thought it was lame.  Perhaps that's too harsh, but it wasn't anything spectacular that I couldn't talk about it in some other way.

• Like 1

I think you want the books from this living math list:

http://livingmath.net/Readers/LogicSeriesProbSolvPuzzles/tabid/1013/Default.aspx

We had Yes, No, Stop, Go and it was lovely. Really very good. And we had Anno's Hat Tricks, which is great.

Look at the other living math books on that site - math books in general are good at encouraging logic.

I can think of a few not on that list. For example, they list If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and there are a lot of good If, then or causation books out there. I like Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo. Before After is a cute one I saw that is about how things change.

There are also a lot of good spatial books. Things like The Grapes of Math help kids see patterns. Those Art Scandal books are good for looking for changes. Picture puzzles in general are good in that way. Zoom could be a good one as well - thinking about judging by what you see, needing context.

A friend of mine just wrote a lovely little picture book that is about logical puzzles. It's soooo cute. Too bad it's not published... yet!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

One that I've picked up recently (but we haven't read yet) is Anno's Hat Tricks by Mitsumasa Anno.  It's an older book, so you'll likely have to pick up one secondhand.  Here's a description that I found on Amazon:  "Three children, Tom, Hannah, and Shadowchild, who represents the reader, are made to guess, using the concept of binary logic, the color of the hats on their heads. An introduction to logical thinking and mathematical problem-solving."