Menu

Prayer for my dad, please

I just spoke with him on the phone and he mentioned that it was 1 year ago tonight that my granny fell and broke her hip in the middle of the night. She had alzheimers and weighed about 78 pounds. She died from complications about 10 days later. She had lived with him for several years due to her illness and he had just recently moved back home to live with her and take care of her. His daddy died when he (my dad) was 8 so they had always been close. My dad is far from perfect and used to drive me absolutely nuts when I was younger (picture a cross between Archie Bunker and Sergeant Carter from Gomer Pyle), but age has softened both of us. It's funny how death and the decline of a loved one's health can create such a change in people. My dad and granny fussed with each other a lot, and you can imagine how the fussing intensified as she slowly slipped away. I watched my dad care for my granny in ways I would have never imagine. Helping her bathe, washing her clothes after she soiled them, bandaging any owies, making sure she took her medicine, fixing her meals, buying her french fries when she wouldn't eat anything else, taking her to get her hair "fixed". Those last days in the hospital as he waited for her passing, he played a cd of her favorite old-time hymns and only left the room to get coffee or sneak a cigarette in the parking lot. He spent 9 nights by her side and that last night he actually lay in the bed with her. He got up around 5am to use the restroom and when he came out, he knew she was gone. He is lonely and I know these next few weeks are going to be difficult for him. I would appreciate prayer for him. My heart hurts for him and I am thousands of miles away and can't "be" there with him. I apologize for the rambling, disjointed thoughts. Just had to get it out there as I don't really have anyone here to talk to.

I'm so sorry that you and your dad are hurting.

My dad also died when I was young, and my mom and I were very close, too. It really does help to be able to talk to someone who also remembers and misses your loved one. I'm so glad you could be there for your dad when he needed someone close "in heart" to talk to.

I smiled when I read your description about Sgt. Carter because my family is currently watching Gomer Pyle dvd's! I was also reminded of the children's book, Love You Forever.

:grouphug: Laura, and prayers for you and your dad!

I'm sorry that your dad is going through this now. I always thought of my dad as invincible, but I have seen his vulnerable side as well. I guess no matter what age we are, when we lose a parent, we lose a huge part of our lives. It's like we no longer have someone to look up to, to ask advice from.

I will pray for you and for your dear father at this difficult time, as he faces the memories of the loss of his mother. :grouphug: to you and your dear father.