Menu

Child who changed her mind about course of study

Ok.  So dd14 (9th grade) has always wanted to be a writer.  Over the last year, she has become increasing interested in natural history and studying science(likely biology or geology.) How could she do this to ME?????? :lol:

My oldest in in college studying anthropology.  We did not focus heavily on math or science.  We did not do DE, SAT subject tests, CLEP.  He was easily accepted into the school he wanted to attend.

Well.  We were planning a similar path(with room for following individual interests of course!) for dd.  Now we have to change gears.  And I need advice.

9th grade schedule(what we are doing now):

Geometry

Biology 1(she adores this!)

English 9

Screenwriting/Film Producing

World Pastries/Culinary Arts

Entomology(again , ADORES this)

Ancient History

German 1

She talks about applying to more selective schools.  She is HIGHLY motivated.

What should be our goals moving forward?  She will need to take an advanced biology? AP?  What maths?  In what order?

Thank you!

• Like 1

She talks about applying to more selective schools.  She is HIGHLY motivated.

What should be our goals moving forward?  She will need to take an advanced biology? AP?  What maths?  In what order?

I would look at the admissions requirements of the schools she is interested in and work backwards to make a plan to satisfy them.

Typically it is 4x4 (4 years each of math, science, English, social sciences) and 2-3, possibly 4 years, of foreign language.

Some colleges require a certain number of SAT subject tests.

Math is easy; there is a standard progression. If she is in geometry in 9th grade, the standard sequence would be algebra 2 in 10th, precalculus in 11th, calculus in 12th. 

• Like 2

I would look at the admissions requirements of the schools she is interested in and work backwards to make a plan to satisfy them.

Typically it is 4x4 (4 years each of math, science, English, social sciences) and 2-3, possibly 4 years, of foreign language.

Some colleges require a certain number of SAT subject tests.

Math is easy; there is a standard progression. If she is in geometry in 9th grade, the standard sequence would be algebra 2 in 10th, precalculus in 11th, calculus in 12th. 

That's the math sequence we did for ds.  But what about AP and Calculus AB, BC?

Do more selective schools generally want subject tests, or AP tests, or is CLEP ok?  I am guessing it is likely that she will not get by as easily as ds did with admissions.  I hate teaching to the test. But, I will do what I have to if that is what she wants/needs.

We do not have a lot of options for CC in our area.  And what is there is not good.

That's the math sequence we did for ds.  But what about AP and Calculus AB, BC?

Do more selective schools generally want subject tests, or AP tests, or is CLEP ok?  I am guessing it is likely that she will not get by as easily as ds did with admissions.  I hate teaching to the test. But, I will do what I have to if that is what she wants/needs.

We do not have a lot of options for CC in our area.  And what is there is not good.

SAT subject tests are usually required by the highly selective schools. AP exams do NOT satisfy this requirement! (This is something that has been frequently debated on this board- they just don't, whether that makes sense or not).

My DD had no APs at all. She took dual enrollment classes at university while in high school.

Whether a college even gives credit for CLEP is something you need to investigate; many don't. 

• Like 1

The selective schools my oldest applied to was very specific as to whether they preferred AP or SAT II scores for particular subjects.

As an example, one one wanted as a minimum, the second Math SAT II, a foreign language SAT II, and then at least one AP or SAT II from a list of their preferred tests. They said they'd consider dual enrollment grades in the equation, but only in addition to the formal tests. No credit granted, but it would be considered in the admissions process. And no CLEP.

Neither of mine really knew what they wanted to do at that age, so we mostly focused on getting in four years of a language, four years of math, four years of science, four years of English, and four years of history. Both have some electives, but most of it is pretty boilerplate.

• Like 3

I'd wait to see how she's doing before I planned whether it was going to be AB or BC. That's a decision that can be made later.

No.  She HAS to decide today and not change her mind! :laugh:

JK.  You are right.  I am feeling a burden to get her ready for college now.  She is only a freshman.

SAT subject tests are usually required by the highly selective schools. AP exams do NOT satisfy this requirement! (This is something that has been frequently debated on this board- they just don't, whether that makes sense or not).

My DD had no APs at all. She took dual enrollment classes at university while in high school.

Whether a college even gives credit for CLEP is something you need to investigate; many don't. 

Good to know!

I am new to this...Do you have to take the SAT subject tests after you take the SAT?  Or does it matter?

I am not interested in CLEP credit, only validation.

The selective schools my oldest applied to was very specific as to whether they preferred AP or SAT II scores for particular subjects.

As an example, one one wanted as a minimum, the second Math SAT II, a foreign language SAT II, and then at least one AP or SAT II from a list of their preferred tests. They said they'd consider dual enrollment grades in the equation, but only in addition to the formal tests. No credit granted, but it would be considered in the admissions process. And no CLEP.

Neither of mine really knew what they wanted to do at that age, so we mostly focused on getting in four years of a language, four years of math, four years of science, four years of English, and four years of history. Both have some electives, but most of it is pretty boilerplate.

WOW!  That IS specific!  She is just dreaming right now about going to an Ivy.  She doesn't even know which one.  I guess you have to plan that early to satisfy each school's pickiness.  

Our plan is similar: 4 years foreign language, 4 years math, 4 years science, 4 years English.

It doesn't matter. 

Agreed. Just make sure that you have as much background as possible for them.

As an example, the College Board says that you can take the foreign language ones after two years of study, but we did it after four. Both of mine scored very high and said it was basic in comparison to what they had done the year before.

• Like 1