Menu

Online Study Skills

My dd will be coming home for 9th. She needs help with organization, time management and study skills. She resists my help so I'd like to start her off with an online class on study skills this summer. I know WTMA offers one but the first classes deal with Blackboard and their particular class delivery. Any other options?

She will be taking a couple classes at WHA in the fall so having an online prep component could be beneficial. I'd love to hear personal experiences of classes that proved to be worthwhile. Thanks!

We are using a Foundations class which can be found at allinonehighschool.com.

Here is a description of the course and it is free. We started it mid-year and are just doing one lesson a day and will finish over the summer. Each day is super short so you could have her do more than one "day" per day. I think it is geared for 9th graders to prepare them for the rest of high school. Some are counting it as ½ speech, ½ logic credit. I think I am going to just do ½ study skills and ½ logic. You could, of course, skip the lessons you aren't interested in her doing.

Course Description: Students will gain foundational knowledge to apply to life and learning in the years to come. The major topics covered are character, critical thinking, logic, public speaking and study skills. Note taking, test taking, planning, reviewing and time management will be learned and practiced. Students will explore learning styles and a variety of study methods. Students will learn how to research, evaluate resources and use unique primary sources to learn about the past. Public speaking topics include active listening, overcoming fear, job interview skills, business communication, as well as preparing and giving a variety of types of speeches. Logical fallacies will be taught and examined in propaganda and in a variety of bias examples found in media and in the classroom. Daily critical thinking exercises as well as logic and brain training games will sharpen students’ focus and attention. A short daily reading based on a character trait will remind students of how their attitudes and actions affect others around them. Other minor topics include manners and etiquette, reading cursive, signature practice, money management, internet safety, personal information safety and spotting online scams.

Not the PP, but:

https://reg129.imperisoft.com/HomeschoolConnectionsOnline/ProgramDetail/3137313633/Registration.aspx

Looks like it's full.  But there are 3 options for the summer:  click here and choose summer 2017, life skills, high school level.

My daughter is taking the August 21-24th one as a "Welcome to High School" course, LOL.

HTH!

• Like 1

I have done Victus Study Skills DVD with my daughter. Also BJ Press has a dated from the 90's study skills DVD that is super in content. Even though it is dated, the content is so well stated that it was a help in my home. Sharon Watson has a note taking course on her website.

http://www.studyskillssystem.org/products/

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/product/223339

https://writingwithsharonwatson.com/ebooks/teach-your-students-how-to-take-notes-ebook/

I do think an online or DVD course with someone who is not "Mom" is very helpful. My daughter would have probably made more effort in application in being accountable to someone else, but for us - the DVD option was a better fit at the time.

I will also take a look at the all in one high school link above.

• Like 1

WHA offers a study skills class during the summer. I believe Julie Etter teaches it. My son took the class in 2015 and found it to be very beneficial. She covered different learning styles and that was particularly helpful for him.  She also covered note taking and other needed skills. I assume that she would most likely share her syllabus with you if you asked. 

My daughter took this WTMA Study Skills class last summer (when she was 13 just starting 9th grade work) and found it very beneficial. Ms. Upperman was an excellent teacher and the class was very engaging. She still needs some guidance with balancing all of her outsourced course assignments this year, but the Study Skills class gave her a definite advantage when she started her online courses in the fall compared to starting cold. 

Not the PP, but:

https://reg129.imperisoft.com/HomeschoolConnectionsOnline/ProgramDetail/3137313633/Registration.aspx

Looks like it's full.  But there are 3 options for the summer:  click here and choose summer 2017, life skills, high school level.

My daughter is taking the August 21-24th one as a "Welcome to High School" course, LOL.

HTH!

Thanks for the link!

Edited by Rosepetal
  • Like 1

My daughter took this WTMA Study Skills class last summer (when she was 13 just starting 9th grade work) and found it very beneficial. Ms. Upperman was an excellent teacher and the class was very engaging. She still needs some guidance with balancing all of her outsourced course assignments this year, but the Study Skills class gave her a definite advantage when she started her online courses in the fall compared to starting cold. 

Do you think the online skills portion that refer specifically to the format used by WTMA would benefit any student regardless of where they take online classes? That's what turned me away because I thought that part wouldn't be applicable to my child. 

No it's not like that at all. We have Mrs. Upperman for Biology currently and she told me a little about her Study Skills class - and it's all about true studying/note-taking tips/how to study for tests & quizzes/problem solving skills. We've never taken it - but we are thinking of it for my rising 8th grader to prepare her for high school... Mrs. Upperman is fantastic!

Do you think the online skills portion that refer specifically to the format used by WTMA would benefit any student regardless of where they take online classes? That's what turned me away because I thought that part wouldn't be applicable to my child. 

I asked my daughter your question and her response was that it gave her a lot of good tools on taking and organizing notes, notebooks, etc., how to properly communicate in her online classes, how to manage a Google calendar, upload documents for classes, what to do if there's a technology issue (in other words: how not to freak out) etc. She said it was definitely a beneficial class outside of WTMA (that's the only course she's taken with them to date) and helped her with her classes on other platforms this year.

She is definitely a fan of Mrs. Upperman and I could kick myself for not signing her up for her Biology class this past year instead of doing it ourselves with Apologia. It was an extremely engaging class from what I could tell on my end and she had no complaints about taking a summer class with her even though her public school friends were all on break and she sometimes missed things to attend the class.

One last thing- she was one of the older kids in the study skills class at 13 almost 14, but she found it very helpful and would recommend to anyone starting high school. 

Regarding the WTMA class, I believe that only a small part of the class was specific to the program used at WTMA. It covered how to post discussions, how to submit assignments, and what to do if the site wasn't working. All important things to know for any online class and I imagine very similar.

I asked my daughter your question and her response was that it gave her a lot of good tools on taking and organizing notes, notebooks, etc., how to properly communicate in her online classes, how to manage a Google calendar, upload documents for classes, what to do if there's a technology issue (in other words: how not to freak out) etc. She said it was definitely a beneficial class outside of WTMA (that's the only course she's taken with them to date) and helped her with her classes on other platforms this year.

She is definitely a fan of Mrs. Upperman and I could kick myself for not signing her up for her Biology class this past year instead of doing it ourselves with Apologia. It was an extremely engaging class from what I could tell on my end and she had no complaints about taking a summer class with her even though her public school friends were all on break and she sometimes missed things to attend the class.

One last thing- she was one of the older kids in the study skills class at 13 almost 14, but she found it very helpful and would recommend to anyone starting high school. 

Thank you! It's always good to hear from the student's perspective. 

I can't seem to find the cost of the summer class. ???

Thank you! It's always good to hear from the student's perspective. 

I can't seem to find the cost of the summer class. ???

It looks like $299 this year, and then I'm assuming registration and tech fee. http://www.wtmacademy.com/tuition/

• One-Semester Course Tuition: 
    • Summer Reading Club, Once Weekly, Capped at 20 students, $224
    • History, Science, & Study Skills, Once Weekly, Capped at 20 students, $299
    • Writing, Reasoning, & Test Prep, Once Weekly, Capped at 15 students, $324
  • Fees: