Menu

Sequoia National Park with young kids - HELP!

three4me

We're going to be spending a few days in Sequoia National Park late this spring and I'd love any advice you might have for doing that with young kids. Looking for advice on the specifics of where to go, stay, which hikes are good when you have a toddler in tow, etc. As well as any other tips you might have! Kids will be 9, 7, and almost 3. 

We've never done a trip like this so I'd love to hear from the experts!

Edited by three4me

Jr. Ranger all the way.

There are a few walks (I would not call them hikes) that are paved. Those are great with a toddler in tow as you can stroller as needed. If you can split up and allow one parent to take the big kids, and one to hang with the toddler, that will allow for the most actual hiking.

Very first thing, check out when the Ranger programs are happening and what they are. These vary by park, some are hands down incredible (we still talk about the astronomy show in Stehekin), some are so-so (Crater Lake Dh and I loved, Ds barely remembers), some are horrific (looking at you Lassen). Scheduling your visit around these programs we have found to be the best way to really enjoy our stay. Many are only offered once or twice a week, so you will miss it if you aren't careful.

Backcountry camping permits exist if you really want a nature experience. These just mean you hike in. Some are as short as a 2 mile hike in, so not incredibly remote. You often do have to rent a bear box, but that is no biggie.

• Like 1

We just did a day trip, so can't help with where to stay, but I remember the paved Big Trees trail was perfect. Our younger mobile two were almost 7 and 4 and our 10 year old is in a wheelchair. The younger mobile two also climbed all the steps to the top of Moro Rock with Dad (incredible view). The General Sherman Tree is truly not-to-be-missed. Most massive (but not tallest) tree in the world.

Lodgepole has a nice visitor's center, and I think there's a nice trail to a waterfall coming out of there. Moro Rock is good, but definitely not for the acrophobic. Wolverton Trailhead is great, but the hikes are pretty long. Little Baldy is a nice hike. Big Baldy is one of our favorite hikes. We've done that a lot with the kids. And without kids. And in snow shoes. And in the snow without snow shoes. There's a lot of fun things to do in Sequoia.

Oh, and I forgot about Crystal Caves. It is a long drive down there, but definitely worth it.

Where to stay? I can't advise on that. We always do day trips or camp. Hwy 198 comes out of Visalia, which is a fair size city, so that might be an option for hotels and then go up for the day. There is lodging in the parks, but I can't recommend any because we've never stayed there.

Edited by KrissiK

Junior Ranger program. My son has at least 10 badges. Yellowstone was the best but none was a waste of time. It focuses the trip.

We were in Sequoia last summer in the formula-1 racing tour so I can't exactly speak to specific trails. But I will say as a collector of national parks, they are well aware of families with small children and there is slot to do with littles. If your littles are small enough that a stroller would be helpful in either moving them along or keeping your stuff together, might I recommend one with bicycle-style wheels? You know, like a jogger or a bike trailer that can convert to a stroller?

Very often, local bike stores will rent these out for everything from an hour to a week. These can handle trails that might be a bit too bumpy for regular strollers or short legs and can give you a lot of mobility and speed.

https://www.rei.com/product/896274/burley-dlite-bike-trailer

This is the one we had when my kid was small. Could bring a friend, army lots of stuff. It goes on a bike or converts to a stroller that can go anywhere. I'd still have this pup excep for downsizing. It has a cargo area in addition to seating and is completely weatherproof.

The first bike trip I took it on, I packed my kid in there with his 18 teddy bears. :0)

Anyway, bike stores rent these and they go ANYWHERE.

We just went this past summer. We rented an airBnB about 20 minutes from the northern entrance. The Lodgepole hike is a couple miles each way but so worth it for the waterfall payoff. Even if you don't make it all the way there are tons of swimming holes along the route. Crystal cave was beautiful and worth the drive. Moro rock was fun. My 8yo stayed behind  because he was too scared. There is a tram system that will take you to the various locations which is really nice.

So a few other points to consider:

- If you are going in the spring, be prepared for snow or wet. Really, with the amount of snow they've gotten in the Sierras this year, it could be very, very wet, depending on the time of year you go. 

- There are delightful, easy hikes around the museum and visitor's center. 

- We love going on the road out toward Moro Rock. It's where the iconic drive-through-a-tree is, as well as a nice loop around a meadow and a peek inside of a cabin used by John Muir. 

Have fun! Sequoia is one of our favorites.