Menu

Life Science for 7th grade?

ScoutTN

We used Exploring the Way Life Works by Hoagland as a spine and added living books. There's no handy TM, tests, and schedule for it though. It was written for high schoolers that aren't STEM students, so it's high interest and engaging, which makes it a sturdy middle school option.

That finished up quickly so now she's using parts of Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life. This is intro high school level and we're taking it easy.

• Like 1

We used Exploring the Way Life Works by Hoagland as a spine and added living books. There's no handy TM, tests, and schedule for it though. It was written for high schoolers that aren't STEM students, so it's high interest and engaging, which makes it a sturdy middle school option.

That finished up quickly so now she's using parts of Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life. This is intro high school level and we're taking it easy.

Thanks, SM.

I will check out the Hoagland book. For this area and this student next year , I do need something that comes with the structure of a schedule, some tests etc. We have been very interest led and CMish in our science thus far, but would like to move a bit toward a more traditional approach. 

BJU is too expensive and I think just too much and too drastic of a change for this humanities-loving kid. 

eta: Just put Exploring the Way Life Works on hold at the library. I love my library.

Edited by ScoutTN

Can anyone compare Science Shepherd to the Catholic Heritage text in terms of challenge/depth? I think I will end up ordering both to actually read them myself.

I'm aware that SS has no lab component and that the author holds a YE view, but limits this to one chapter discusing origins.

I know that the CH text does have a lab component and comes from an OE view.

Sorry, I'm just seeing your question to me. I do have the program, but my daughter did not use it in full. She read the text, but we did not complete the labs. There are 7 formal labs, many microscope studies (optional), and two research papers. Science has always been a challenge for me to implement, but that issue is about me and not the program. CHC's Behold and See 6 was the first program I found that we both loved and that was done regularly. Because I was so pleased with it we moved into this as it is the next level. My daughter is bright and a quick learner. She loves textbooks, for whatever reason, and this program has particularly beautiful and well-formatted ones. I did ask her a lot of the workbook questions orally and we discussed the answers together more often than her just writing the answers down. .

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm just seeing your question to me. I do have the program, but my daughter did not use it in full. She read the text, but we did not complete the labs. There are 7 formal labs, many microscope studies (optional), and two research papers. Science has always been a challenge for me to implement, but that issue is about me and not the program. CHC's Behold and See 6 was the first program I found that we both loved and that was done regularly. Because I was so pleased with it we moved into this as it is the next level. My daughter is bright and a quick learner. She loves textbooks, for whatever reason, and this program has particularly beautiful and well-formatted ones. I did ask her a lot of the workbook questions orally and we discussed the answers together more often than her just writing the answers down. .

Thanks, Dawn.

Has your dd who used this gone on to high school Biology yet? Wondering if she thinks the year of life science was valuable as prep for that?

Thanks, Dawn.

Has your dd who used this gone on to high school Biology yet? Wondering if she thinks the year of life science was valuable as prep for that?

Not yet. We are doing the physics-first order, so she's currently in Physics with Clover Creek Science, and next year she'll be taking Chemistry at Wilson Hill. Biology will follow in her junior year.

Edited by Dawn E
  • Like 1