Menu

Doesn't read at school?

DD goes to a half day preschool program daily. It is fantastic and we love it. It's play based and they don't stress academics beyond normal preschool expectations. Dd has had the same teacher for 2 years. at the beginning of the year I let her know that Dd was reading a lot more. The teacher said they had a few readers and that she'd work with them. However Dd said they haven't done reading. She says that one boy will read occasionally, but that's all I've heard. at DDs parent teacher conference Dd brought a book she had been reading and the teacher was surprised. She had no idea Dd was reading at that level. From what I can tell, Dd is reading at an early 2nd grade level. She reads Little Bear with minimal helps and only needs help on trickier multisyllable words since our phonics program hasn't covered those yet. I honestly don't care if Dd gets reading instruction in school. We do it at home. But I found it odd her teacher had no idea that Dd could read so well. Is it pretty typical at this age not to show true ability in school?

She probably doesn't have the opportunity to show her reading ability at school because that's not the focus of the program.  So, yes, I'd say that unless a child is particularly obsessed with reading and reads everything she sees aloud, for example, in the situation you described it would be unlikely for the teacher to know the extent of her abilities.

• Like 5

While many schools pay lip service to differentiation, if you are expecting a typical preschool to notice your child's advanced ability and offer a corresponding level of work in that area, don't hold your breath.

Later in elementary, there may be reading groups by ability level, though the tests used to determine reading level are a rough estimation.

To answer your question, IME it is very common that a child doesn't show true ability at school and also very common that a teacher doesn't notice even if they do.  "I'm not seeing that in my classroom."  Generally, most teachers do not know your child as intuitively as you do.  Occasionally, your child may have a gem of a teacher who is very perceptive of ability even when the child isn't working up to that level; it seems to me that, often, such teachers are likewise very bright.

In the big picture of elementary education, it's relatively easy for a child to read at home at the higher level if desired, even if there isn't more advanced instruction at school.  OTOH, advanced math is trickier, much harder to come by, IMO...

Edited by wapiti

She probably doesn't have the opportunity to show her reading ability at school because that's not the focus of the program. So, yes, I'd say that unless a child is particularly obsessed with reading and reads everything she sees aloud, for example, in the situation you described it would be unlikely for the teacher to know the extent of her abilities.

That's what I was thinking. It sounds like some of the kids who are reading (I believe 2 boys do as well) have been able to help read words during story time, but they're much more outgoing and one is turning 6 this spring. Dd is definitely not outgoing and doesn't show off her abilities much in group settings. She does read a lot she sees, but I'm not sure how much of it is outloud. She'll say things like "why does the cereal box say 'love grown'?" But I have no idea if she read it in her head first and then asked or asked while reading aloud. In our reading time she reads aloud

While many schools pay lip service to differentiation, if you are expecting a typical preschool to notice your child's advanced ability and offer a corresponding level of work in that area, don't hold your breath.

Later in elementary, there may be reading groups by ability level, though the tests used to determine reading level are a rough estimation.

To answer your question, IME it is very common that a child doesn't show true ability at school and also very common that a teacher doesn't notice even if they do. "I'm not seeing that in my classroom." Generally, most teachers do not know your child as intuitively as you do. Occasionally, your child may have a gem of a teacher who is very perceptive of ability even when the child isn't working up to that level; it seems to me that, often, such teachers are likewise very bright.

We do love her teacher and she is excellent. She's the reason we're at that school. But I truly think Dd just doesn't show what she can do readily.

Dd will go to an immersion language school for K-8 so all English language arts from K-2 will be done at home. The school doesn't do ELA until 3rd grade. So I'm not worried about differentiation in K+ since she'll be starting over with a new language.

Yes, I think it is typical that a preschool teacher doesn't notice kids' achievements outside of the preschool curriculum, unless your daughter is the type to demand that it be known.  :P  My early reader used to say that she "could not" read books in school.  I think she was just shy, and "can't" worked for the other kids, so she might as well say it too.  Finally one day she asked to be the reader at story time (pre-K) and read without hesitation.  The teacher told me, thinking I was going to be as surprised as she was, LOL.

Actually I have seen this as late as 1st grade - I had told the teacher that both of my kids were reading ahead of the curriculum, but perhaps all parents say that and she didn't remember.  For weeks, Miss E kept testing on extremely basic KG level books, and reporting that these were "read to" her.  I went and told the teacher that no, I was not reading those books to her, and at home she was reading books as advanced as Harry Potter.  Then the teacher started encouraging her a bit.

I can understand preschool teachers not wanting to devote much time to kids reading in a non-academic preschool, because it could cause other kids / parents to feel pressured.  The early readers can read outside of preschool hours.  If reading in preschool is important to a family, there are options where that is a focus.

Yes, I think it is typical that a preschool teacher doesn't notice kids' achievements outside of the preschool curriculum, unless your daughter is the type to demand that it be known. :P My early reader used to say that she "could not" read books in school. I think she was just shy, and "can't" worked for the other kids, so she might as well say it too. Finally one day she asked to be the reader at story time (pre-K) and read without hesitation. The teacher told me, thinking I was going to be as surprised as she was, LOL.

Actually I have seen this as late as 1st grade - I had told the teacher that both of my kids were reading ahead of the curriculum, but perhaps all parents say that and she didn't remember. For weeks, Miss E kept testing on extremely basic KG level books, and reporting that these were "read to" her. I went and told the teacher that no, I was not reading those books to her, and at home she was reading books as advanced as Harry Potter. Then the teacher started encouraging her a bit.

I can understand preschool teachers not wanting to devote much time to kids reading in a non-academic preschool, because it could cause other kids / parents to feel pressured. The early readers can read outside of preschool hours. If reading in preschool is important to a family, there are options where that is a focus.

That's funny about your DD! DD isn't a show off either. Definiitey an introvert. And the teachers notice other abilities such as fine motor skills. Ones they all work on. Dd writes me notes while at school and they constantly praise that. I honestly don't care if she reads at school. It was more that we wouldn't that caught my attention. Well afterschool for reading and spelling as long as she needs. Probably until 3rd grade when they start doing it at school.

DD goes to a half day preschool program daily. It is fantastic and we love it. It's play based and they don't stress academics beyond normal preschool expectations. 

Sounds ideal. It's not in the least surprising that her reading hasn't been picked up by the school. Our school does baseline testing for the 3-year-olds, so that's how they "discovered" my early readers. 

YDS is more likely to pick up a book and read it for everyone. My ODS was much happier racing around on the bikes. I think he spent every possible moment at preschool outside. He misses that much play now that's he's in K. 

Your school sounds great, and I wouldn't rush academics in the least.

Surprisingly enough DDs teacher started doing DRA reading with DD this week. Yesterday Dd came home from school telling me how she went into the hall with her teacher and read a book to her. Today she said she read to the teachers aid. Her teacher said that she assessed DD at an end of K level. I'm assuming this is because they started at a K level with books and dd read them well. DD reads at about a 2nd grade level at home. Her teacher said they'll continue giving her more difficult books to assess where she's at. Dd seems to enjoy the one on one time with her teachers.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

Sounds ideal. It's not in the least surprising that her reading hasn't been picked up by the school. Our school does baseline testing for the 3-year-olds, so that's how they "discovered" my early readers. 

YDS is more likely to pick up a book and read it for everyone. My ODS was much happier racing around on the bikes. I think he spent every possible moment at preschool outside. He misses that much play now that's he's in K. 

Your school sounds great, and I wouldn't rush academics in the least.

DDs confidence in reading has really taken off lately. While she's been reading for a while, she's never felt confident enough to really show off her reading ability. Lately she's been reading to her brother in the car and reading signs and boxes in such. She's also only recently started referring to herself as a reader. 

I will miss the playtime of preK in K. We have friends who send their children to a highly structured, academic heavy Preschool that claims to have every child reading by the end of prek. It's a tiny tiny school and the preschool class is a 3year old- Kindergarten class with one teacher assigned to teach both preschool and K. I felt awful for the kids when I heard the teacher explaining how there is no free play time and that she loves how structured the day is. My heart broke for them. 

DDs day is loosely structured. Recess, two times with free choice between centers (art, science, books, play house, building toys, puzzles, etc.), a small group time, circle time, and now her 1:1 reading time. It's been a blessing for sure.