Menu

The Potter School English

We've used Landry Academy for Literature and Composition courses and right now kids are doing some Excelsior classes this Spring.We have had Mrs. Whitlock at Landry and now have her in Excelsior and we are fond of her teaching skills. Now in the phase of planning for the year 2017-2018 English classes for my 2 children.

So, I'm wondering what Potter's School courses have been done by your kids and what your opinion of the course was.Why did you or did you not like it? Pros and Cons?  Did you see growth in your student's writing skills? Are there the weekly slides in pdf or any other format and recordings on the student's dashboard to view it as needed later on? How much time consuming they are and how much challenging...? Are the TPS English courses rigorous and comprehensive?(Comprises of Grammer, Literature and Writing components altogether) What should be the student's English courses at TPS, if he/she has to do AP English Language at by the end of the road?(Depends on testing placement if she starts from English 2?) How much competitive is student placement in a certain level of English course at TPS? How easy is to request and arrange office hour each week with the teacher?

Which English teachers would you recommend for these Levels:

English 1: Kristy Massie, Ruth Ann Fed., Lorri Wilkie, Abigail Gray, Lori Talbert, Adria Day, Jimmy Leonard

English 2: Diana Thomas, Kristy Massie, Ruth Ann Fed., Abigail Gray, Nancy Shearon, Lori Talbert

English 3 Literature Survey: Linnea Geno, Vanessa Bush, Diana Thomas, Nancy Shearon, Ruth Ann Fed

Do Parents have to check the Math HW Qs. before handing in(Like Landry Academy)

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing any experience with these teachers and courses I would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

Potter's school records each classroom section so the student can review it later if needed.  If you're wondering about the course of action your kids need to take, they do provide academic advisors.  My ds16 has taken English 3 with an American history combo, English 2, English 1 (Journey to Narnia - Mrs Richards), and now Advance Composition 4/5.  He has Mrs. Troxel for Advanced Composition and likes her.  English 2 was Mrs. Frederick who was also good.  For non English courses, he has taken Propositional Logic with Apologetics and Starting Points (both excellent).  

My ds12 is taking writing fundamentals with Mr. Leonard.   He's good with that class.  Very encouraging and positive with feedback.  He's a younger/newer teacher.  

I can only say positive things about TPS English classes.  They will require your child to submit a placement test in order to enter their classes at any level.  I feel like TPS shines in their English department.  My ds16 is an excellent writer.  With English 4/5 advanced composition, there is a section that can qualify for college credit through Bellhaven University.  I feel confident that his writing abilities are enough for anything college can throw at him.

• Like 2

Thank you ladies, for sharing your experiences. May I ask that does level 1,2 ad 3 English courses contain grammar in diagramming? As my daughter hasn't been taught the grammar in a diagramming way so how easy or difficult it would be to deal with the diagramming? Secondly, my daughter often needs an office hour so How easy is to request and arrange office hour each week with the teacher?

Thank you ladies, for sharing your experiences. May I ask that does level 1,2 ad 3 English courses contain grammar in diagramming? As my daughter hasn't been taught the grammar in a diagramming way so how easy or difficult it would be to deal with the diagramming? Secondly, my daughter often needs an office hour so How easy is to request and arrange office hour each week with the teacher?

For both Eng 1 & Eng 3, there are two options... one is grammar heavy, the other is not.  The regular Eng 1 & Eng 3: Foundations courses include extensive grammar instruction.  Eng 1: Journey to Narnia has some grammar review during the first semester, but Eng 3: Lit Survey only hits on grammar issues as it comes up in students' writing, iirc.

We had already covered grammar with a few years of Rod & Staff, so my students placed into the Narnia and the Lit Survey courses. Narnia did have some diagramming during the grammar review, Lit Survey did not.

Your dd will do a placement test for TPS English, and they'll let you know which class would be the best fit for her.  The diagramming in Narnia started at the beginning, so, if your dd places into Narnia, she'll learn the diagramming from the beginning.

Can't speak to office hours because we never needed them. If one of my students had a question, they emailed the instructor directly and the instructors were always very quick to reply.

HTH

• Like 2

The font hurts my brain. Can you use a regular font?

CT...just fyi..... I had this problem, too, on my iPad.  The font shows up as a sort of script on the iPad, but on my notebook computer, it is more normal & much easier to read. Doesn't help if you only read on an iPad, but the op might not see the hard-to-read font if she's using a desktop/notebook.

• Like 1

For both Eng 1 & Eng 3, there are two options... one is grammar heavy, the other is not. The regular Eng 1 & Eng 3: Foundations courses include extensive grammar instruction. Eng 1: Journey to Narnia has some grammar review during the first semester, but Eng 3: Lit Survey only hits on grammar issues as it comes up in students' writing, iirc.

We had already covered grammar with a few years of Rod & Staff, so my students placed into the Narnia and the Lit Survey courses. Narnia did have some diagramming during the grammar review, Lit Survey did not.

Your dd will do a placement test for TPS English, and they'll let you know which class would be the best fit for her. The diagramming in Narnia started at the beginning, so, if your dd places into Narnia, she'll learn the diagramming from the beginning.

Can't speak to office hours because we never needed them. If one of my students had a question, they emailed the instructor directly and the instructors were always very quick to reply.

HTH

I was following and thanks for the info :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd add my thoughts.  My 7th and 8th graders are both taking English 1 this year with Mrs. Massie.  I think the classes are excellent.  I know a friend whose daughter did all her HS English classes at TPS and cites them as what prepared her for college more than anything else in her homeschool career.  

Each class dedicates time to grammar, literature, and composition.  One daughter is also taking Honors Physical Science and the other is taking Thinking Like a Christian.  My biggest recommendation is that you go to the description of the classes.  Many have a sample class.  Mrs. Massie is the instructor teaching the sample class for English 1.  I wish I could see a sample class for each teacher!!  At any rate, my plan is to keep them in the English courses and then perhaps do the Belhaven Scholars program that is dual college enrollment for 11/12th.  One warning...they are thorough and time consuming.  I have one perfectionist who spends hours and hours!  They claim the norm is 6-8 hrs/week middle school and 8-10 high school, with more for honors classes.  I LOVE TPS.  If I could put them in all their courses, I would.....but we wouldn't have time for sailing, guitar, piano, theater, etc! LOL  I am thinking 2-3 classes at most.

Can anyone speak about the Writing for High School Prep Camp?

What is covered?

Would it be confusing for a young person coming from Writeshop II?

Must I continie with TPS thereafter (due to the TPS "way"), or can I easily switch to somewhere else, applying what was learned?

Thx

Edited by historymatters