Menu

Berean Builders Science Series

Slache

I have read bits and pieces of BB to the kids that match up with BFSU lessons.  But I wasn't too happy with that mash up, so my oldest is currently working through Science in the Ancient World independently and answering the mid-level questions in a notebook.  She is going through a "great-books" ancient history literature study so it matches up with that just fine.  Since we did BFSU already she skips the experiments.  I will have my son do the same next year and they will both continue the series along with their great books studies chronologically.  

For my second set of kids I am planning to read through the BB science books along with SOTW.  We are still going to do BFSU though.  I think they each hit two different important aspects of science.  But for us it definitely works better to correlate BB with SOTW rather than trying to match it with BFSU like I tried to do at first.

• Like 1

We are doing BB at a faster pace to keep up with the 4 year history strategy. This means we do a science lesson 4x per week and do a full BB book plus a little of the next book in one school year. The history doesn't always line up perfectly but it's close enough for me to feel like the history and science work well together.

We love science in our family so it's not a burden for us to do extra. :)

• Like 1

We are doing BB at a faster pace to keep up with the 4 year history strategy. This means we do a science lesson 4x per week and do a full BB book plus a little of the next book in one school year. The history doesn't always line up perfectly but it's close enough for me to feel like the history and science work well together.

We love science in our family so it's not a burden for us to do extra. :)

Cool! Do you think it will be easily finished in four years? Did you do Science In The Beginning first?

Yes, we did Science in the Beginning first. I do think it's a better starting place, especially if you have a child on the younger end of elementary school. Plus Science in the Ancient World mainly begins with the ancient Greeks. So it was easy to hang out in Science in the Beginning during the whole ancient Egypt etc era in history.

I do think it can be done in 4 years, but like I said we are dedicated to science in our household.

The books each have 90 lessons (includes some challenge lessons that can be skipped), times 5 books, divided by 4 years = 112.5 lessons per year (or less without the challenge lessons)

• Like 1

Yes, we did Science in the Beginning first. I do think it's a better starting place, especially if you have a child on the younger end of elementary school. Plus Science in the Ancient World mainly begins with the ancient Greeks. So it was easy to hang out in Science in the Beginning during the whole ancient Egypt etc era in history.

I do think it can be done in 4 years, but like I said we are dedicated to science in our household.

The books each have 90 lessons (includes some challenge lessons that can be skipped), times 5 books, divided by 4 years = 112.5 lessons per year (or less without the challenge lessons)

Okay, now I have to think. I didn't want to have to think. Thank you for your responses.

I just recently stumbled across Berean Builders science and now I'm trying to figure out how to add it in. :) It looks like the text is very dependent on having done the demonstrations, so I'm thinking I need to let this go. Because our schedule is pretty full already. :D

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

I just recently stumbled across Berean Builders science and now I'm trying to figure out how to add it in. :) It looks like the text is very dependent on having done the demonstrations, so I'm thinking I need to let this go. Because our schedule is pretty full already. :D

That's what YouTube is for.
  • Like 1

We just use the first book.  When we are using it, we just do one lesson per week, which comes out to one unit per semester.  So it would take us 3 years to get through.  Then I assign John H. Tiner books that correspond to the middle schooler and read extra library books to the younger kids.

• Like 1

They're very, very simple. For today's lesson we needed a candle and a CD. The demonstration took 1 minute.

• Like 1