Menu

Protecting chalk-painted dining table

quark

I am a chalk paint amateur and have finished several smaller scale projects like night stands and storage benches, using clear wax for protection with much success (time tested and survived a pretty bumpy move too).

I had a 10-year-old very old-fashioned wooden dining table (very glossy mahogany top with matte black legs) that was making my open floor plan dining area look boring, dull and dark. I was really lusting after a country/ cottage look. I chose to go with a white leg/ brownish grey top chalk painted look.

Today, I finally, finally finished this project and it has brightened my space considerably. I love it. But now I'm a little worried that clear wax will not offer enough protection for the dining table surface.

What do you use so that the surface will repel water and food stains and look matte-ish without shining like a cheap plastic/ formica table top?

I have extra clear wax but I don't think it will help for something we use so heavily (table is also used for homework and various other things). Should I shellac? Would prefer something low odor, non toxic if at all possible. I can also cover it with cloth for heavier use/ entertaining but would like to use it bare when we can.

Thanks for any ideas at all!

My everyday table is chalk painted. (RED!)

I did use wax on it....several coats. From time to time, it needs a quick tre-application and a good buffing.

Caution--putting hot dishes directly on it is not good for it. The dish of hot lasagna left a nice rectangle. :)  It buffed out, but avoiding it would be better.  

It would probably be better if I were to use a spray lacquer to seal it better....but for now, we live with it. :)

• Like 2

^^Red! You are so brave! I would have loved that. Son vetoed it though. :glare:

I might just clear wax it since I already have it at home. Considering adding a cut to size matte, clear table protector on top just in case.

Thanks Happy!

• Like 1

I have refinished several pieces with chalk paint/wax but none of them have any extra protection besides the clear wax -- none are in a high-traffic area. In your situation though I would rough up the surface slightly with fine sandpaper and give it a light coat of sealer (spray paint) and then re-wax it with the clear wax.

• Like 1

^^Red! You are so brave! I would have loved that. Son vetoed it though. :glare:

I might just clear wax it since I already have it at home. Considering adding a cut to size matte, clear table protector on top just in case.

Thanks Happy!

Well...the red table came a while after the yellow front door, the blue bench....and coloring my own hair red.

I love color!

The red I used is an Annie Sloan color...Emperor Red, I think. The paint is upstairs and all the way across the house. Much too far for me to travel tonight to read the label. :)

Be bold, be brave, and don't let the kid boss you around. :laugh:   Remember it's only paint!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Be bold, be brave, and don't let the kid boss you around. :laugh:   Remember it's only paint!!!!!!!!!!

You are right! :laugh:

But I am glad I followed his advice...the table looks so good to me now that I don't know if I will change the color. It's a subtle taupe that matches my Ikea Hemnes bookshelves really well. Maybe I will paint something else red! :laugh:

I'm going crazy with it now...painted a bench and chair legs the same color. I'm using Meadow Path from the Renaissance brand (couldn't find Annie Sloan locally).

Thanks Happy! You've given me the confidence to use clear wax for now. I'm contemplating using a runner or table cover for more heavy usage. We use quilted trivets for hot things anyway so hopefully it will hold. If not I'll re-do the finish later!

I'm so happy to see another sliding down the chalk paint road! Soon everything will be painted.

Paint all the things!

You've already decided but FWIW - I'd stick with clear wax, too. In really high traffic areas, I'll sometimes do 3 coats.

I have tried a clear poly acrylic, matte, on a coffee table in the kids' game room. It's fine there, but I won't do more that way. It's not the same. I was worried they'd put stuff on it and make marks, so fave it a shot. It just isn't right, and I think what bothers me isn't just the look, but the feel of it.

At our last house, we left our kitchen table wood (eventually I'd have painted it red, had we stayed) and we did all the chairs different colors. It looked great. I love color!