Menu

Please recommend an audio book

Suzanne in ABQ

I love good fiction with rich characters.  I want to catch myself thinking about the characters like they're real people I haven't seen in awhile, wondering what they're up to, then realize, "Oh yeah.  She's not real!"  -- (Barbara Kingsolver does this for me, but I've read all her books.)

Historical fiction or faraway lands are a plus.  Take me out of my bubble, and let feel transported to a different time and/or place.  Teach me about other cultures and times.

Excellent sound quality is a must.  I hate when the reader's voice gets loud, then soft, then muffled, then clear.  I don't need sound effects or distracting background music.

I want to be swept away by a reader (or readers) who has the versatility to bring life to the various characters, using different voices and inflections, capturing the essence of their personality.   I hate when a strong female character is read with a whiny voice.  I like books that are "performed" by actors, rather than just "read".  

I'm fairly new to audio books, but I liked the following.

I really liked Water for Elephants, especially having a "young" and and "old" main character.  I didn't care for they way he read the women's voice, but the rest was wonderful.

I like the Inheritance Series (Eragon books).  There were so many characters, and the reader produced consistent voices for each of them.  We listened to all of the books on vacations, about 125 hours, and never tired of them.  Perhaps a Tolkien book would be good on audio.  Any recommendations?

Bless the Beasts and Children was good.  

There are many authors I like, but I don't know whether I would enjoy the audio versions.

Barbara Kingsolver

Jodi Picoult

Willa Cather

Given the above, has anyone listened to an excellent audio book they can recommend?

Thanks.

• Like 1

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes is fantastic as an audiobook.  It has a historical fiction feel as it switches back and forth between the present and the WW1 time period.  The narrator is truly gifted too.  She manages a French and German accent, flipping back and forth within the same conversation, with such ease.  The story will really pull you in.  At least, it did me  :001_smile:

I also love Where'd You Go Bernadette? on audio. This story has a very modern setting with quirky characters and an unusual set-up.  Parts of the story are told through the reading of emails.  It works.  

• Like 1

A Man Called Ove

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Called-Ove-Novel/dp/1476738025

I enjoyed this audiobook so much when I first heard it this past fall, that I listened to it again this week. It is by a Swedish author and the person reading the book is fantastic. It is about a widower, his past life, and present community. It made me laugh and cry and think about life. The author is such a good storyteller, I am about to read his other books.

• Like 1

I just finished Jodi Picoult's Leaving Time and thought it was well done.  I actually got this from my library's Overdrive for free.

I am really enjoying listening to The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency now.  Next up is The Help.  I have heard that one is great to listen to.

Thanks for the wonderful reviews, Ladies.  I have added these to my list.   I may need to start driving more!

I just finished Jodi Picoult's Leaving Time and thought it was well done.  I actually got this from my library's Overdrive for free.

I am really enjoying listening to The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency now.  Next up is The Help.  I have heard that one is great to listen to.

I read Leaving Time.  The ending totally blew me away!  I was like, "What?!?!?!"   :w00t:   It was perfect.

I read The Help, and saw the movie, but I haven't listened to it.  Hmmm.