Menu

Is it possible to reconfigure a split level to a ranch?

sheryl

Are there any contractors here?   I know you can raise a roof line but can you lower one?  LOL!

We have a small split level and have been bursting at the seams for a while.  Even though we are dh, dd, me, dog and cat (although our beloved dog passed away last month) we still need more room.  A 1600 sq ft split level is crammed.

If the 2 half stair cases weren't there and we had a wee bit more room it would be more pleasant.

So, can a roof line be lowered?  Who would I call? 

Any suggestions welcomed!

Oh, we've been looking to sell this one and buy another house (ranch, 1.5 story OR ranch w/walkout basement) but we're not finding much with our parameters.

Thanks!

I don't think this can be done because it's not just the roofline, it's the elevations. One side of the house is further below grade than the other, that's why it's split. If it could even be done, I would guess it would be exhorbitantly expensive. Is there any area to add an addition?

• Like 4

I don't think this can be done because it's not just the roofline, it's the elevations. One side of the house is further below grade than the other, that's why it's split. If it could even be done, I would guess it would be exhorbitantly expensive. Is there any area to add an addition?

In my area, people add to a split-level, or they tear it down and start over. It's very expensive to do anything major with a split-level in terms of its layout.

• Like 3

My parents have a split level. They added on to the back of the house on the main level. It wasn't even a huge addition, but it feels like a totally different house.

There's no way to make it all one level without tearing it down and starting over.

My parents did this too and it worked really well. 

We really don't want a 2nd story.  I like 2 story homes but we just don't want one.  It will be expensive but I'm wondering instead of spending more on another house if we put that money in to this one. 

Tammy, Bringing the lower level up - interesting.  Maybe?  Quill, We have a level lot though.  I'm going to call a contractor or two and see what they would recommend. 

We don't want to add on as we don't care for the split level floor plan much anymore.  I wish there were more homes on the market.

I meant they added on square footage to the living space area of the house. They didn't add a second story. The main floor had a small living room in front with a kitchen and dining room on the back wall of the house. The contractor removed the wall, expanded those rooms, and added a living space with tons of windows. The split with the bedrooms didn't change.

• Like 2

Zoobie, So they made the downstairs larger and kept the upstairs bedrooms in tact?

We don't like the 2 - half staircases any more. 

Yes. I don't know why they didn't sell and move to be honest. (Well, other than my dad being terrified of change, ha...) They don't have a bathroom on the main floor, and they are getting older. The addition makes the house look much bigger and more modern.

Yes. I don't know why they didn't sell and move to be honest. (Well, other than my dad being terrified of change, ha...) They don't have a bathroom on the main floor, and they are getting older. The addition makes the house look much bigger and more modern.

ok, got it.  i'm glad this has worked for your parents.  :)

dh and I just don't care for the floor plan anymore.   we've been looking for a while.  now I realize I was being too picky.  if we're considering making major changes to this house tnen I was we would have considered making less major changes on an existing house that is more to our liking/preferences/wish list.  

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 2

ok, got it.  i'm glad this has worked for your parents.  :)

dh and I just don't care for the floor plan anymore.   we've been looking for a while.  now I realize I was being too picky.  if we're considering making major changes to this house tnen I was we would have considered making less major changes on an existing house that is more to our liking/preferences/wish list.  

In my opinion you would be wasting a ton of money trying to put lipstick on a pig if you did the remodel on the split level.  It sounds to me like you are on to something in your updated plan, here.  :0)