Menu

Physics 101 DVDs....

is this a full HS credit program?  If not, what would need to be added to make it so?

This is for a non-STEM kid who doesn't understand why she needs to take physics since all she wants to do is teacher preschoolers....regardless how many times I have told her it's not for her career, but it is needed to go to college.   :001_huh:

IMO, no, it's not worth a high school credit. My STEM = kryptonite kid completed the bio course in 9 weeks, *with* extra reading padded in. I used the chem set as a supplement with 10 and 12 year olds and nothing was over their head.

Maybe try Bloomfield's Physics of Everyday Life?

Edited by SilverMoon

Yes, my youngest is using these now for 12th grade, but I added the Castle Physics labs and the John Tiner books on physics and math. That fits my goals. The Castle Physics labs are hard, so we do them together, but they also involve more math than Physics 101 has. Some people use the Castle Physics labs for AP!

She wants to be a professional writer, but she has said multiple times that she's enjoying science this year. When she goes to college next fall we're figuring she'll take general physics (i.e. not the physics for science and engineering) as her science because the physics professor is very engaging and organized. The biology is a weed-out class for the medical degrees, and the general chemistry professor is horrible.

So indeed, she may also end up taking physics in college. Most degrees require a science, and it pays to ask around and find the best course.

IMO, no, it's not worth a high school credit. My STEM = kryptonite kid completed the bio course in 9 weeks, *with* extra reading padded in. I used the chem set as a supplement with 10 and 12 year olds and nothing was over their head.

Maybe try Bloomfield's Physics of Everyday Life?

Is Bloomfields Physics a book? a program? 

I am very much needing a video based Physics course...that is why I was looking at Physics 101.  If it's not a complete course, I am sort of surprised that places like Timberdoodle list that as their HS Physics option.  

OK...still looking.

wanted to make a case for look again and think about what you might add to make it for in your case.

another "no" it's not a full year high school physics course. However, it's more in it than the biology dvd in terms of being toward a course.

I am counting physics 101dvd as a semester of high school "physical science" for my youngest.  I didn't want to list it as concepts in physics when she's doing this in grade 9.  (By the way I struggle calling the bio 101 anything but life science intro.  )

I know for some students the material in physics101 dvd will be review and already known material if they are advanced or did physical science already.  But my youngest is not in that category.  It seemed similar in scope to a gen ed class for non majors at a college where I was office staff in a physics dept. 

No math needed in this course.

I'd be careful in what I labeled in on transcript.  I wouldn't call it Physics b/c that would imply some math.  I called it Physical Science with lab. (but considered Concepts in Physics). and gave it a semester credit.

It would not have been enough at all for my oldest who is engineering/computer science/math triple major at her university. 

edit:

oh, on the timberdoodle question you asked:  the physics101 dvd is only one part of their 10th grade science, along with chem101 and another product for integrated chem and physics.  That might explain it. I don't use their program to know how it all fits.  But it's not listed as  full year by itself on that site from what I am looking at in 10th grade package.

Edited by cbollin

ok....I hear ya.  this is why I am asking....because I doubted it myself. 

My daughter (junior next year), has taken biology (part was Apologia...until that was just too much...we stopped half year...I did have her watch the Bio 101 DVD's and I am not sure she has had enough Biology...I will have to decide that one later)...she is currently taking Chemistry (Friendly Chemistry) and doing well.  She has had Algebra 1 and is currently taking Geometry (Math Relief) and also doing well.  Math and Science are not her strong point...but the programs I have chosen have helped.

But I am unable to find a physics course (and the college she wants to attend requires Bio, Chem and Physics) that is video or DVD base without needing Trig or Calc. 

I have been looking at: Fascinating Physics, but it looks a bit dry and boring (but maybe that is just the way it is), Crash Course, but that doesn't look like a stand alone program, either does Bozeman Science.  

What else is out there for me to consider? 

thanks.

I think I might start a new thread with this post...since it appears that Physics 101 is off the table.  thanks for your opinions.

Edited by NEprairiemom

Is Bloomfields Physics a book? a program? 

I am very much needing a video based Physics course...that is why I was looking at Physics 101.  If it's not a complete course, I am sort of surprised that places like Timberdoodle list that as their HS Physics option.  

OK...still looking.

He has a Coursera course for the first half of his book covering Mechanics:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/how-things-work?siteID=SAyYsTvLiGQ-e4AKx8rsnTrQeyOJkVmEdg&utm_content=10&utm_medium=partners&utm_source=linkshare&utm_campaign=SAyYsTvLiGQ

(ETA: I just responded in your other thread...didn't realize until I got to the end the OP was the same  :blush5: )

Edited by Joules

This is for a non-STEM kid who doesn't understand why she needs to take physics since all she wants to do is teacher preschoolers....regardless how many times I have told her it's not for her career, but it is needed to go to college.   :001_huh:

I just wanted to address this part of your post--are you sure the colleges you would consider actually require physics? I looked at a number of colleges' requirements (state and private schools in our region) when I was deciding what to require for my kids, and physics wasn't listed as "required" for any of them. Most said they wanted the student to have 3 years of science, specifying at least 1 or 2 years with labs. Some specified that they wanted biology or chemistry or both to be included. None "required" physics, and I didn't require it of my non-stem major. 

I just wanted to address this part of your post--are you sure the colleges you would consider actually require physics? I looked at a number of colleges' requirements (state and private schools in our region) when I was deciding what to require for my kids, and physics wasn't listed as "required" for any of them. Most said they wanted the student to have 3 years of science, specifying at least 1 or 2 years with labs. Some specified that they wanted biology or chemistry or both to be included. None "required" physics, and I didn't require it of my non-stem major. 

I am nearly certain...but I will double check.  thanks.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526057-conceptual-academy-for-homeschoolers/   This thread gives good info about physics options.

I would also recommend checking Aurora Lipper's materials. I have used some of the supercharges science elementary and middle school materials with my children as a supplement.

http://www.superchargedscience.com/opt/cm01-2014-esci-slp-1/

http://www.superchargedscience.com/opt/grades-9-12-topic-summary-08-2014-2/

For a non science student, adding reading to Physics 101 could work. Add in an experiment set, appropriate reading that could even include scientist biographies, maybe some documentaries. I have also seen options for this on the Great Courses website, as well as iTunes U. The Masters publishers might also be an option. Also, checking what Memoria Press recommends for Physics might be good for ideas.  You could break up the course: one semester Intro to Physics and the other Applied Physics.

Would your student like Alpha Omega workbooks? It might be possible to pick and choose.

The colleges in my area do not require Physics, so my oldest is going to study nutritional science her senior year instead.

Good luck as you research!  (I'm just brainstorming with you as we start our hs day....)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526057-conceptual-academy-for-homeschoolers/   This thread gives good info about physics options.

I would also recommend checking Aurora Lipper's materials. I have used some of the supercharges science elementary and middle school materials with my children as a supplement.

http://www.superchargedscience.com/opt/cm01-2014-esci-slp-1/

http://www.superchargedscience.com/opt/grades-9-12-topic-summary-08-2014-2/

For a non science student, adding reading to Physics 101 could work. Add in an experiment set, appropriate reading that could even include scientist biographies, maybe some documentaries. I have also seen options for this on the Great Courses website, as well as iTunes U. The Masters publishers might also be an option. Also, checking what Memoria Press recommends for Physics might be good for ideas.  You could break up the course: one semester Intro to Physics and the other Applied Physics.

Would your student like Alpha Omega workbooks? It might be possible to pick and choose.

The colleges in my area do not require Physics, so my oldest is going to study nutritional science her senior year instead.

Good luck as you research!  (I'm just brainstorming with you as we start our hs day....)

The WTM link talks about a $30 price...where all I can find is a $110 price.  Did it really go up that much in a couple years?  Or what am I missing?

I think the owner of the company says the $30 is the price of the access to one course. The price will go up due to all the web infrastructure, the quizzes, and the online helps. The video lectures alone might be a different price. Even at $110 or whatever it is;  it is still a good price for access to lectures. Have you read the entire thread?   The owner seems to be very approachable, so you might want to just go straight to his website.

I am trying to make wise decisions about chemistry resources for next year, so I am also researching. I like the idea of combining video with textbook work.

Here is a link to the site mentioned in the other discussion:

http://www.conceptualacademy.com/

Another thought,  BJ Press is having a $99 sale right now for a year's access to their online video lectures that go with their textbooks. The $99 is only for 2017 only. They have this sale every year in Dec, and  sometimes again in January. To re-purchase it again in Dec for 2018 access is still cheaper than the yearly access fee if bought without a sale.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/product/366005

Conceptual Physics by Hewitt.  I think there are some videos somewhere online.  You could search the forums for Conceptual Physics

Stop Faking it books  one Title is Electricity and Magnetism by Robertson.  I think I read about them on the forum somewhere. If you are going to go the Physics 101 route they would be something to explore for supplemental reading. I think there are written for teachers, but I haven't looked at one yet.  You could also add the Teaching Company Joy of Physics (I think that is the title). 

The Great Courses website has several physics related possibilities. Our library carries various DVD courses from this company. It might be possible to borrow from your own library if they have any workable titles.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/search/?q=physics

Even study inventions, machines, etc - all based on the laws of physics might be another possibility to add to the Physics 101. Last year, the Great Courses company had one course on this that we considered using.

Thinkwell also has a Physics course. Homeschool Buyers Coop frequently has great sales on Thinkwell programs. They also give a free trial so a person can investigate.

http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/products/physics-1

Amazon video has many possibilities from serious scientific documentaries to Myth Busters. So much cheaper than Great Courses.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dinstant-video&field-keywords=physics+documentary

Good Luck as you make decisions.

Edited by Pistachio mom