Menu

Seasonal means.... ?

BlsdMama

This quote was on a FB group this morning and the group is centered around eating well for health.

"Seasonal produce can be difficult to find when out of season and somewhat expensive for the same reason. Fortunately, if your options are limited, it turns out frozen fruits and vegetables are just as nutritious as their fresh counterparts."

This might be the dumbest question ever, but I always assumed eating seasonal produce was exactly that - eating produce within the season in which it would naturally be consumed if we didn't have access to current farming methods?  As in squash, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc., are storage veggies and would be eaten in winter.  Swiss chard, kale, etc are cold crops - Spring and Fall.  Fruits, berries, etc. are summer crops so their seasonal availability would be that.  I don't buy into the eating only seasonal thing as I can see the necessity of a varied diet, but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood the meaning/use of the word?

Yes, "seasonal" means what you think.

The sentence ""Seasonal produce can be difficult to find when out of season " is confusing and only makes sense if they use "seasonal" to mean "produce that has a certain limited growth season and does not grow year-round". Otherwise, the sentence makes no sense.

Edited by regentrude

That was a badly constructed sentence.

Eating seasonal produce contributes to a more varied diet. Ex: say you like eating yogurt with fruit. Sure, you can get frozen blueberries year 'round, but why not change it up through the year by getting whatever fruit is least expensive (in-season produce is frequently a supermarket loss-leader) fresh?

In some places some times of the year there really isn't much of any good fresh produce available, of course.

• Like 1