Menu

Last minute trip in lower 48. Where to go for warm January weather

Only me

We are going to take our 2 younger college kids and get out of the frigid temps for a short vacation right after the first of the year (cheap flights). We were just going to join dh on a business trip to Phoenix but he now says he is open to other possibilities. He has brought up the possibility of San Diego and Palm Springs. It looks like the weather is about the same in all 3 areas. Florida is a possibility but the kids wanted to try something new. My ds is leaning towards San Diego. My dd is leaning towards Phoenix. I just want warm weather. We could see a hockey game in Phoenix so that is a plus. I'm limited and cannot do a lot of physical activity so hiking is out of the question. I can go for short spurts of site seeing. We will want some activities to occupy our time since it won't be pool weather like I had hoped. Which would you choose or any other recommendations?

• Like 1

San Diego would get my vote, for the highest possibility of good weather and there are tons of things to do there.  Just behind that, I would consider Central or South FL  or the Lower Rio Grande Valley of TX.    GL with your trip!  I think the airline fares will begin to drop on approximately January 15th...

San Diego would get my vote, for the highest possibility of good weather and there are tons of things to do there.  Just behind that, I would consider Central or South FL  or the Lower Rio Grande Valley of TX.    GL with your trip!  I think the airline fares will begin to drop on approximately January 15th...

Why do you think that?  They are already really low.  

I live in Phoenix and can tell you that January can be anywhere from downright cold to balmy, depending on the day.

Can you define "short spurts of site seeing?" That would help me think of things that may be of interest to all of you.

A hockey game is one option. There might also be some event happening at the University of Phoenix stadium (aka AZ Cardinals stadium).

If there is no particular event happening there while you're here, you can always take a free tour of the stadium. 

The Celebration of Fine Art starts next month, too, which may be of interest to you.

Feel free to PM me with any thoughts or questions.