Menu

Independent Grammar, Cursive...any subect for 9 y/o Third Grader

BrandonMommy

I like our curriculum choices though they are a bit teacher-intensive (WWE, FLL, AAS, AAR, Singapore Math)  and with teaching third and first in a limited amount of time afterschool, I feel like I am holding my DD9 up from learning more.  I am sure she could breeze through some of her subjects but me having to do them with her or me not being able to schedule maybe as effectively as I could is more than likely holding her up when I can't get to certain lessons some days or some parts of the year even! 

We recently finished WWE2. I don't know if WWE3 is more independent or not.

I've been holding her off from AAS3 til her brother completes AAS2 so they can do AAS3 together. I'm starting to reconsider since she said she needed to learn more words and write more but he's halfway through and I'm wondering should I just be patient and wait.  Will it be worth it?  I just felt this would make better use of our time to do it together (it was their idea actually) and then I'd have to time to work with them independently in math which we're slightly behind in now (1A and 2B) or another subject they're not close in. I recently started both of them on FLL2 and she said she loves grammar. I was considering getting level 3 for her and holding off my son til third grade but now I'm wondering if I should just get her a program she can do all on her own or if FLL3 is more independent or just as teacher intensive. 

My first thoughts were grammar and cursive that are independent but really, any suggestions in any subject would be helpful for first or third. Anything she (or he) could possibly be doing while I'm busy elsewhere. As long as she's learning . . .

I like our curriculum choices though they are a bit teacher-intensive (WWE, FLL, AAS, AAR, Singapore Math)  and with teaching third and first in a limited amount of time afterschool, I feel like I am holding my DD9 up from learning more.  I am sure she could breeze through some of her subjects but me having to do them with her or me not being able to schedule maybe as effectively as I could is more than likely holding her up when I can't get to certain lessons some days or some parts of the year even! 

We recently finished WWE2. I don't know if WWE3 is more independent or not.

I've been holding her off from AAS3 til her brother completes AAS2 so they can do AAS3 together. I'm starting to reconsider since she said she needed to learn more words and write more but he's halfway through and I'm wondering should I just be patient and wait.  Will it be worth it?  I just felt this would make better use of our time to do it together (it was their idea actually) and then I'd have to time to work with them independently in math which we're slightly behind in now (1A and 2B) or another subject they're not close in. I recently started both of them on FLL2 and she said she loves grammar. I was considering getting level 3 for her and holding off my son til third grade but now I'm wondering if I should just get her a program she can do all on her own or if FLL3 is more independent or just as teacher intensive. 

My first thoughts were grammar and cursive that are independent but really, any suggestions in any subject would be helpful for first or third. Anything she (or he) could possibly be doing while I'm busy elsewhere. As long as she's learning . . .

Rod and Staff's English series can be done pretty independently. You would just want to read through each lesson before handing it over to her, to decide which exercises she should do. Everything the children need to know is right there in their texts. You could do the beginning oral exercises with her, if you want, to add a little face time.

And then if she does all of the work in cursive, on loose-leaf notebook paper, there's her cursive, too.

You could let her do Spelling by Sound and Structure, which she would also do independently, and then you could drop AAS.

Math Mammoth is good, but b.o.r.ing. If you have a workbook kiddo, it is great. If you have a wiggly, bouncy one, not so much. Ds is definitely the latter :). Beast is great for wiggly, bouncy.

Easy Grammar is quick, independent, and painless. It also spans many years, so no reinventing the wheel. However, it is another workbook-ish one.

There are some fun vocab apps if she is just starving for words.

Copywork is also a lot of fun if you allow picture drawing and art to enter the equation. At thrid grade, I would have done just about anything for access to a stack of gel pens and permission to doodle around my cursive practice.

Completely different from what others have mentioned, but I'm loving IEW's Fix-It program.  It requires a couple minute intro each week and then takes only a few minutes of your kid's time (10ish) for four days.  Kids work on one sentence a day, gradually labeling more parts of speech as they progress through the program before looking up one word in the dictionary and then copying the sentence, editing as needed.  Thus, it covers your "GUM" topics as well as vocabulary, all via copywork.  When we did NaNoWriMo this year, I was surprised at how much the kids had internalized from that copywork; their sentences were pretty varied, their spelling quite improved, and their punctuation was pretty accurate.  For what little effort and time it takes, this program is great--and no one objects to doing it!

FLL and WWE do not get more independent at any point.

My 3rd grader can run R&S spelling and English by herself for the most part. She strongly prefers to do English with me though. She can do literature by herself and tell me about it later; we do not do reading curricula beyond learning to read however. She doesn't do penmanship anymore. Math is not an independent subject in this house, but it does have some independent work after some time spent with me. She does Spanish practice on her own with the Duolingo app and I work with her in Spanish for Children when I have time.

• Like 1