Menu

international travel ?s

Deb in NZ

Ds#1 has bought his ticket to head overseas on his OE.  His plane departs at 12:30am on a Monday.  Check-in is usually 3+ hours before departure for international travel.  So he would need to check in before 9:30pm on Sunday, right??? 

Also, when we travel we always buy travel insurance.  Ds#1 will be gone for at least a year.  How long can you buy travel insurance for?  He'll be based mostly in North America as his plans stand at this time.

TIA,

• Like 1

Look for Gap Year insurance rather than holiday insurance - there are particular providers who do that.  Endsleigh is the market leader in the UK, but I don't know about elsewhere.  The lack of a return ticket might be an issue.  Be careful to buy it before he leaves - many insurers will not issue it after departure.

• Like 1

Yes, I would think three (3) hours before the scheduled departure of an International flight is the minimum one should plan on.  He should Check In at the ticket counter and go through Security, as quickly as he possibly can, and then he will be in a much more "Secure" area.  He should  stay in the Gate area for his flight and pay attention to the announcements, in case they change the Gate for his aircraft.  We always print out two (2) copies of our Boarding Passes. One, we will probably need to give to the Agent at the gate, before we board, and the other, in case someone else thinks they have been assigned to one of our seats.  (That happened to my wife on one of the 4 flights on that trip).   Be sure that he has a Valid Passport and if he is a Minor, that you comply with any documentation required by the airline and the 2 governments.

We bought temporary Travel Insurance for our trip last April/May, but we had Round Trip tickets with fixed dates.  I don't know whether you can buy Travel Insurance if there is an Open Return or if one is leaving on a One Way ticket. I doubt that. He needs, instead, some kind of temporary Medical coverage, which is why we bought the Travel Insurance.