Menu

Chemistry Labs

I just recently purchased Novare's lab manual: http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/catalog/chemistry/cehsh/

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to look through it carefully, but on first glance, it looks thorough and challenging. I think it could be used with ANY chemistry program---not just Novare's. 

And although I don't wholeheartedly recommend the Spectrum chemistry course, the lab portion (and accompanying manual) is excellent. I think you can purchase the manual and chemical kit apart from the textbook. 

Finally, there is the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Thompson. 

HTH! Jetta

• Like 4

A honors chem lab manual posted by a high school teacher for his/her student. The lab manual is posted by labs and quarter system so small PDF files.

http://www.wilsonsd.org/Page/2332

We are using the labpaq chem kit with their lab manual since we do three sciences every year in a spiral fashion. So it is more of getting hands on practice in doing and writing a lap report than for credit.

• Like 1

This looks excellent!  I really want to try and get my hands on chapter samples or a cheap used copy. 

I just recently purchased Novare's lab manual: http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/catalog/chemistry/cehsh/

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to look through it carefully, but on first glance, it looks thorough and challenging. I think it could be used with ANY chemistry program---not just Novare's. 

And although I don't wholeheartedly recommend the Spectrum chemistry course, the lab portion (and accompanying manual) is excellent. I think you can purchase the manual and chemical kit apart from the textbook. 

Finally, there is the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Thompson. 

HTH! Jetta

I ordered a used copy of this last night to see how it would work. 

I use the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry. Easy to pick and choose labs. Expensive to do the entire book. You could carefully choose your labs and limit your materials to keep costs down.

I keep hearing about LabPac, but I am unsure what it is.  IS LabPac just a kit for labs, or is it a lab manual, or an entire chemistry curriculum?

A honors chem lab manual posted by a high school teacher for his/her student. The lab manual is posted by labs and quarter system so small PDF files.
http://www.wilsonsd.org/Page/2332

We are using the labpaq chem kit with their lab manual since we do three sciences every year in a spiral fashion. So it is more of getting hands on practice in doing and writing a lap report than for credit.

• Like 1

I keep hearing about LabPac, but I am unsure what it is. IS LabPac just a kit for labs, or is it a lab manual, or an entire chemistry curriculum?

Labpaq is a kit with the lab manual in PDF. I have the CK-02 kit. It is not a curriculum.

Link is a short description http://www.holscience.com/docs/eLP_Chemistry_ProductSheet.pdf

Deleting below later as it is upload by some strangers

Link to 354 pages Labpaq bio lab manual that someone uploaded so you can take a glance to see how it is like. Chemistry lab manual is similar in style. https://www.homeworkmarket.com/sites/default/files/q4/06/09/50-0059-bk-02-lab_manual.pdf

Link to Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry 434 pages so you can skim while waiting for your used copy

https://zookeepersblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/illustrated-guide-to-home-chemistry-experiments.pdf

• Like 2

This looks excellent!  I really want to try and get my hands on chapter samples or a cheap used copy. 

The Novare lab handbook is excellent. You can use it with any science - we used it for Bio last year.

If think Novare will email you a sample chapter if you contact customer service.

We are using Novare Chemistry for Accelerated Students, and I had promised the hive a review. I haven't forgotten, but our international move has kicked my butt and delayed many of my good intentions :)

I have the Quality Science Labs microchem kit, but I want to do some macro labs second semester.  I am a sissy about chem labs, and need to figure out which ones don't scare me.  :glare:

• Like 4

We are using Novare Chemistry for Accelerated Students, and I had promised the hive a review. I haven't forgotten, but our international move has kicked my butt and delayed many of my good intentions :)

Oh! Please, please, pretty please give us a review when you can!  :bigear:

I am wavering between using Zumdahl's World of Chemistry and Novare's General Chemistry with a group of local students next year...with hopes of maybe eventually developing an online course. I know Novare's General will be slightly different from the Accelerated version, but from what I can tell without holding them in my hands, it is just a matter of initial pacing through the first few chapters. I would think the tone/clarity/design/interest level would be the same.

I have the Zumdahl book already and really like it. But the Novare program comes with so many "helps" (quizzes, tests, solutions) plus the labs are scheduled appropriately. It is tempting...

Thanks! Jetta

Oh! Please, please, pretty please give us a review when you can!  :bigear:

I am wavering between using Zumdahl's World of Chemistry and Novare's General Chemistry with a group of local students next year...with hopes of maybe eventually developing an online course. I know Novare's General will be slightly different from the Accelerated version, but from what I can tell without holding them in my hands, it is just a matter of initial pacing through the first few chapters. I would think the tone/clarity/design/interest level would be the same.

I have the Zumdahl book already and really like it. But the Novare program comes with so many "helps" (quizzes, tests, solutions) plus the labs are scheduled appropriately. It is tempting...

Thanks! Jetta

Hi Jetta,

If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like in addition to the pacing, the math in the section on the pH goes a little deeper in the advanced book.

I do also like World of Chemistry (on my shelf) and solutions manual, but I like the concept Novare texts. I'd be all for you offering an online class using either book. :o)

I would also love to hear some feedback from anyone who has used Novare.