Menu

Can a parent really do better than the experts?

These are, for the most part, rhetorical questions. The answers will vary from one person to another ~ which is of course why there's no clear-cut answer to your question.

1) What exactly is an untrained parent?

2) What constitutes a rigorous education?

3) Who are the experts? Why are they awarded that title?

4) Who says homeschooled children are years ahead of their p.s. peers? I've certainly never said such a thing, and I've never read or heard SWB express that, either.

I am one who does not consider homeschool "better than" the alternatives, across the board. So much is dependent upon the children, the parents, the home, the available schools, the goals, and on and on and on. I believe each teacher ~ at home or at school ~ can do as good a job as s/he desires, and the same is true of each student.

I am one who does not consider homeschool "better than" the alternatives, across the board. So much is dependent upon the children, the parents, the home, the available schools, the goals, and on and on and on. I believe each teacher ~ at home or at school ~ can do as good a job as s/he desires, and the same is true of each student.

May I stress "the same is true of each student". You can have the best teacher in the world with the best curriculum designed for that student, but if the student won't try, the student won't reach his potential.

Trillium, I love your name! When I was growing up, our neighborhood was mostly woods before all of the building was completed and we spent our springs and summers picking Trillium and Mayapple and Jack-in-the-Pulpits. Such good memories!

Sorry to get off the topic here, everyone. LOL

Can an untrained parent (and by this I assume you mean someone who is intelligent but not a teacher) give their children a great education? Absolutely, without a doubt. Can they also get tired and not do the best job? Absolutely. Homeschooling requires diligence, and not only on the part of the student.

Ria

This stands to be repeated. And not just for homeschool parents. When I worked in public schools, there was one teacher in particular who really, Really, REALLY was tired and needed a sabbatical (like the person below says). But she didn't see it (every other teacher in the school could). The students suffered. Being an expert is not about a license or degree, but knowing oneself and the ones you are teaching.

Renai

I think being an expert means knowing your subject thoroughly, within reason.

For example, I do not need to know how to do algebra, geometry, or calculus to teach 2nd grade math to my child. Basic math skills will do just fine, IMO.

But if I am going to teach algebra to my child, I'd better know something about it or find another way to have my child taught that subject.

IMO. YMMV.

Being an expert is not about a license or degree, but knowing oneself and the ones you are teaching.

Renai

I think being an expert means knowing your subject thoroughly, within reason.

For example, I do not need to know how to do algebra, geometry, or calculus to teach 2nd grade math to my child. Basic math skills will do just fine, IMO.

But if I am going to teach algebra to my child, I'd better know something about it or find another way to have my child taught that subject.

IMO. YMMV.

Precisely my point. You don't need a license or degree for that (to be the expert on oneself or your students). You know yourself if you need to study up on something or delegate it to someone else to teach. Most elementary school licensing programs do not teach the teacher "how" to teach math, science, social studies, etc. However, when they finish the course sequence, they are considered "experts" to teach it all. What do they do? The same as us- open up the teacher guide and follow it, lol!

Now, of course, there are those with math degrees, science, etc. that are getting alternative licenses for their particular area. And to be classified as a "highly qualified teacher" for middle school and beyond, you do have to have a certain amount of higher level course in math, science, or whatever you are being endorsed to teach.

I admit, I have not read this entire thread, so maybe I'm missing something.

Renai

ps. Came back to add: This has got me thinking how far I actually want to go in teaching math in my 2nd language (we have a dual-language homeschool). I've been thinking all this time about going through 6th or 7th grade and switching to English, but now I'm wondering if I really want to.

:)

And to answer your other question--I don't juggle all of that other stuff. :)

And above all else, DH knows this too. :p

Yup - I am the exact same way. I look at HSing as my full-time job, and it is my focus during school hours. My husband agrees and supports me so much by making dinner several nights a week, helping out with kitchen clean-up, etc.

I have no idea if I'm doing a better or worse job than the public schools. I am simply setting up an environment where my daughter can learn, and doing MY best. I am content with that. Comparison can suck so much energy and joy from my day if I allow it to. As GothicGyrl said, I try to avoid it!

Well, in my own case my senior year of highschool my physics instructor was the cheerleading coach. She was a bright lady and all, but was learning physics along with us. I know I could do *that* much, at least. But of course, I want my kids to have it better than I did, for those subjects where I am limited I may try to outsource when the time comes.

Kate

Can a mother reasonably balance raising babies, caring for the home, cooking meals, and the very demanding tasks associated with rigorously educating the older children?

Of course I'm not in the upper years yet, but of the PS teachers I know, they all have to try to balance educating their classes - 20-24 students, plus being a mom, caring for a home, cooking meals, etc. We are doing similar work, but I only have my 4 to care for and educate. They don't live in a school bubble where that's all they do. They have all the normal family stress PLUS the education of the children they are responsible for.

I'll take my load any day! ;)

I did not jump into this conversation when it started because I wanted time to sort of think it through.

I had an amazing 3rd grade teacher. But I am pretty sure that I can do as well as she did.

I had an amazing 5th grade teacher. But I am pretty sure that I can do as well as she did.

I had an amazing 6th grade teacher. But I am pretty sure that I can do as well as she did.

All of these teachers were what one might consider "kickin' it old school". They were very old fashioned in their approach, they were strict disciplinarians. They were fair and treated all kids as the bundles of potential that they were. They accepted children as they were, but would not accept any trouble. They expected children to learn and their standards for their own teaching were very, very high.

And that is it. That's all there was. In 12 years, well 13 counting kindergarten, there were only 3 teachers who inspired anything in me.

So, where were these experts, these gifted teachers? I can tell you that if they were in the Poplar Bluff school district, they were hiding from me.

I think people who had wonderful educational experiences tend to see public education through that lens. I think people who had dismal (or worse) public education experiences tend to see things through that lens.

I cannot do better than the "experts" but I am not convinced that the public schools are always filled with experts. I think the broad field of mediocrity is probably what makes the truly gifted educators stand out from the crowd.

Are you comparing a mom, 1-on-1 to an expert, 1-on-20? Are you factoring in those extra 20 children and their attitudes and idiosyncrasies?

If what you want is a top education, then a 1-on-1 with an expert in his field is going to have a lot to offer.

I do think that a good teacher can teach a class full of children well--but the teacher is not likely to "fit" the education to any one child. If your child excels or struggles, then the "fit" will be lacking. A homeschooling mom has a better chance of doing this if that is her goal.

The expert cannot sit down with each child in the classroom and go over compositions word for word, grammar point for grammar point, etc. The homeschool mom may not know how to teach grammar--but she can go to writingassessments.com and get all the help she needs.

So, yes and no. We may not be as good a teacher and we may be limited in knowledge, but if we strive for excellence, we offer many benefits the "expert" cannot give.

And to add to the whole picture--we get to raise our children with our moral values and beliefs.

FWIW.

I agree 100 percent with Jean- There are some excellent teachers out there and some great programs. Our district is wonderful, the facilities are excellent. Somedays I wonder why I don't send them- but my time with them is something I can't send back. Once I stopped comparing myself to the public program (which they were in), I started to excel and look for strengths. Looking at the options, constantly had me focused on our weaknesses. BTW I do have one child in public school.

I had excellent teachers in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. That said, those teachers (with exception of 5th grade teach) pretty much let me set my own path. I had an abysmal 6th grade teacher, a horrid 7th grade school (for me), and only two teachers (9th grade govt/geography and 10th grade US History) who were truly inspiring.

I'm now homeschooling. there are days I feel overwhelmed, that I'm not doing well enough for my children (balancing work, school, family time, cuddle time, fun, etc.)

I do have some pretty high standards -- and I pretty much fail at some point every day (patience wears thin -- don't pray for patience! You get opportunities to be patient ARGH!)

Routine is my best friend. But once our family is "off" routine for a week or so, it takes at least a full week of concentrated effort to get everyone back onto the same page again.

Also, the sacrifices I've made are: house isn't perfect, clothes aren't perfect, meals are quick and easy -- and some things just sit until I can deal with them. Not my preference, but it's not as high on the priority list.

I can't do everything. But I know that for us, homeschooling is the *only* option. We may entertain a school situation for high school, but won't cross that bridge for many years. We're still planning to homeschool through high school at this point.

My oldest (now grade 3) is achieving. He's capable of sooo much more (and he knows it), he just doesn't WANT to do more. I've accepted that he's not self motivated, and am dealing as best I can -- picking the battles and focusing on those (right now it's neatness -- and following instructions).

My K/Pre-K children are doing far less at their age than their older brother was -- but I'm fine with that. We're focused on learning the basics, and playing/reading. And, if I had it to do over again, I would have created a lighter load for their older brother in K/1st too.