Menu

IEW, EIW, Write Shop or Brave Writer - help!

Bay Lake Mom

All of these writing curriculums are confusing me. I can't afford to invest time or money in another wrong choice. We've been using BJU English, but not doing much with the writing lessons - mainly just the grammar. My oldest dad is 8 yo and I also have a 6 yo but she's quite delayed.

I need a lot of hand holding. I'm more of a math person. My 8 yo seems very overwhelmed anytime we attempt a writing assignment. What are your opinions on these choices (in the subject line)? Pros and cons of each if you have experience?

If you order IEW directly from them, it's a 100% guarantee. If you hate it, you can return for a full refund. It's a good program for a reluctant writer that needs scaffolding to learn to write. The DVDs basically do the instruction for you which you can watch together. I think it's a good program for parents who aren't natural writers as well and who need something laid out for them. 

• Like 2

We have used BJU, IEW and Bravewriter, and each was good in its own season of life.

BJU was good in 2nd grade but became too much in 3rd/4th grade to dd.

IEW Fables, Myth, Fairytales & IEW Narnia was a good fit during grade 5-7 (in 7th grade, BJU Heritage 6 was also helpful to grow)

But afterthat not anymore.

DD started BW last year and she growed a lot.

I think / hope we will stay with BW during highschool.

I combine IEW and Bravewriter. I basically do freewrites and 1 project per season for bravewriter, then SWI-A when I can (we afterschool so we're really the victims of scheduling) and the IEW checklists/methods in her school homework.

Over the course of a year, IEW has worked better for my daughter but it took a while for me to see the positive effects (at first, when a new dress up is introduced, it actually seems to have a negative effect because they can't use it well yet...). BUT The writer's jungle (bravewriter) was something *I* needed to read -- and she has gotten a lot out of some of the bravewriter (partnership writing) stuff too.

• Like 1

Why are you not using the BJU writing?  You can't get more hand-holding than BJU.  EiW uses video lessons, so perhaps that would be more what you are looking for?  We combine BJU and BW activities.  BJU gives the structure and skills breakdown that my oldest needs and BW adds in the creative element.  We also use Writing Skills, but I'm not sure I am loving it.  I haven't used IEW, so I can't comment on that one. 

We just started WriteShop and are enjoying it. Small manegable chunks nicely planned out. Some of it seems rather silly but I am seeing the progression now.

I agree though, try the BJU lessons- you are paying for it anyway. They are very good. Perhaps slow down, go back and do them.

I used Bob Jones English for all my kids in elementary school. Its very slow and methodical. If it seems overwhelming to your dc, try scribing for him. I did that for one of my kids in third grade, it made a huge difference. He was able to get his thoughts down on paper, and then I'd have him copy it.

I have a math degree, and IEW turned me into a language arts lover! My dd was a natural writer and was able to take a class in 7th-8th grades with a retired English teacher. This was not available for my ds, who was seeming to be a math person like me. Writing was not coming easy, so I knew I had to get something that would teach ME how to teach writing. IEW has been a perfect fit.

I went though the TWSS program for the parent and through Teaching the Classics (how to discuss literature) in one summer. I began ds in 3rd grade with All Things Fun and Fascinating. I decided to start leading a book club because ds wasn't loving reading. I knew it would keep me accountable to make sure he read good, classic literature.

The next year I started a co-op because so many of my friends wanted to try IEW. I've been teaching IEW and leading a book club ever since. I never dreamed I would love teaching these subjects so much! 

Ds is no longer in an IEW curriculum because his teachers at the co-op chose something else this year as well as last year. The skills he learned from IEW have definitely made both classes easier than they would have been without the 4 years of IEW. 

• Like 1