Menu

Love hate relationship with Singapore

Ausmumof3

I felt Singapore didn't have enough review built in for us (at least in grades 1/2). A recommendation posted here was to skip the tests and save them to do the next week or another time for review. I liked that there wasn't overkill of questions, but on difficult subjects I bought kumon supplements to review more when DS was struggling. I think they do have extra practice workbooks, which in retrospect would have solved those problems. Oops! 😊

• Like 2

I have a love-hate relationship with Singapore Math as well.  For my first child, I absolutely loved it. He did well with it, and moved solidly into pre algebra and algebra.  My other children have struggled with SM, and the amount of supplementation that we have to do (time, measurement, money, math facts) is frustrating when a lot of kids are at the school table. We've moved on to other things, even though I have full sets of Singapore workbooks for everyone.  

I still have hope for my youngest....I think bar models and mental math are important.

• Like 2

I felt Singapore didn't have enough review built in for us (at least in grades 1/2). A recommendation posted here was to skip the tests and save them to do the next week or another time for review. I liked that there wasn't overkill of questions, but on difficult subjects I bought kumon supplements to review more when DS was struggling. I think they do have extra practice workbooks, which in retrospect would have solved those problems. Oops! 😊

Yep I just started using the Extra Practise here and there with my grade 4 and it made a world of difference with the fractions. I think the explanations in it are slightly more understandable too. I haven't bothered with it in the past because I've struggled to get through just the two books but I'm wondering if a bit more review might actually speed us up in the long run.

• Like 1

I have a love-hate relationship with Singapore Math as well. For my first child, I absolutely loved it. He did well with it, and moved solidly into pre algebra and algebra. My other children have struggled with SM, and the amount of supplementation that we have to do (time, measurement, money, math facts) is frustrating when a lot of kids are at the school table. We've moved on to other things, even though I have full sets of Singapore workbooks for everyone.

I still have hope for my youngest....I think bar models and mental math are important.

Yes!!! I am reluctant to give it up because I think these concepts are so helpful and important I just wish my kids got into it a bit easier.

I felt like this for similar reasons. I ended up switching to MM and using some of my SM stuff to supplement. MM seems to include most of what I liked about SM with more practice, better written explanations, and all in one book.

I'm almost doing the same. I just haven't been able to fully admit that Singapore is not a good fit for one of my kids. I think Singapore was moving too fast for her. She hated Math Mammoth at first because it was a lot more problems but she is used to it now. She is going back and forth between the two programs.

Out of curiosity, are you using the HIG? It helps a lot to use it when introduces topics and how to approach it.

Yes although not consistently. To be honest it doesn't really help with everything. In some areas it does. Ds doesn't always get the reasoning he just wants a method or process to follow. That is frustrating but I think that's his personality.

I felt like this for similar reasons. I ended up switching to MM and using some of my SM stuff to supplement. MM seems to include most of what I liked about SM with more practice, better written explanations, and all in one book.

Hmm sounds like we need to look into this for next year. We only have two more years but after four years it's still frustrating me so what makes me think it will get better???

I'm doing this as well except we use strayer upton and sm a few grades behind as reinforcement.