Menu

Military Base in Belgium

mom31257

Has anyone ever or does anyone live on a military base in Belgium? Dd has heard about an opportunity to go and work on a base for the summer.

Has anyone had a child do something like this before? She'll be 20, but her life experiences are extremely limited due to homeschooling and being at a Christian college.

I definitely have reservations but would love for her to have an opportunity like that.

ETA:  She's getting more information now, and this is part of a ministry not an actual job on the base. She would be living at a retreat center. I feel better about that but am still curious about Belgium!! 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

My sister and her family spent a few years living in Brussels. Her husband worked for NATO at the time (active duty Air Force). They did not live on the base, but they would go to the base about once every two weeks to shop, for medical appointments, etc.

I don't know anything about that particular location, but a couple of things to think about.

Housing- it appears that there isn't housing on base?  Would she find her own place or would they provide something?  If she can live off base, that would change her experience a lot, especially if she can live in an interesting neighborhood.

Work schedule- while it would be a good thing just to go for the work experience, having some time to travel would be great

Finding friends- she could probably easily find church services in English to help her meet more people.

I have several friends who've lived in Brussels and loved it.  What a great opportunity!

Amy if it was my DD, going to Europe, I would explain to her the possibility, very slight, but a possibility, that a Terror Attack might occur, while she was there, and in the unthinkable event that happened, what she should try to do, to get to safety.  Other than that, I  think her being at NATO HQ. or on a military base where U.S. Personnel are based, might be a "life changing" experience for her.  Travel, of any kind, changes a person. It gives one a different outlook on life.  I vote for her going. She should have a Smart phone, with voice/SMS and Data service that works there, at all times.  Bon Voyage!

There are several military installations in Belgium, mainly near Brussels and Mons. Belgium is a beautiful country with many interesting places to see. It would be a great experience for her. As Lanny mentioned, a smart phone is a must. During the terrorist attack last March, phone communications were blocked by the government authorities but we were still able to communicate with SMS, Facebook, and other apps. I'm sure whichever ministry she would be with will be able to give her details about living arrangements, base access, and English-speaking church services. You would want to check with your health insurance, too. Most doctors here take cash up front. Some accept credit cards. The chip credit cards are best here with a pin. You can find a lot of information about living in Belgium online especially for expats. 

• Like 1