Menu

Would you eat this?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Ugh. I made chicken stock in my Instant Pot last night, and it was done at about 12:30-1:00. It was too hot to do anything with, so I left it to cool a bit, and then fell asleep on the couch. So it's been sitting there for about 8 hours.

WWYD? Would you dump it? Strain it, give it a good boil, and then freeze it? Strain, boil, and use right away? I made chicken and rice soup last night, so I don't know what I'd use it in today that wouldn't cause mutiny. 

It was only a carcass and a small package of necks and backs, so not a huge loss, but I'm really trying to curb my food waste. I hate when this happens :(

Thanks.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Thanks all. I've always heard stories about people who just keep their stock on the stove and boil daily, etc., but you're right that it's probably safer just not to bother. I did reboil and jar it up, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up tossing it. I also left the rice out, but there was no way I was even going to try on that one! Here, microorganisms, have some nice, warm, moist simple carbs all to yourself for hours :lol: DH would have wanted to eat it though, so I got rid of that quickly!

Thanks all. I've always heard stories about people who just keep their stock on the stove and boil daily, etc., but you're right that it's probably safer just not to bother. I did reboil and jar it up, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up tossing it. I also left the rice out, but there was no way I was even going to try on that one! Here, microorganisms, have some nice, warm, moist simple carbs all to yourself for hours :lol: DH would have wanted to eat it though, so I got rid of that quickly!

LOL...I'm not THAT hardcore (leave it on the stove and boil daily).

But yeah I have done similar things and have used it (and have lived to tell).

Rice..nope..that I wouldn't keep. 

We would eat it. In the instant pot it would have stayed very hot for quite a while, maybe long enough to allow the at room temperature hours to fall within the guidelines. If we need to continue stovetop stock over night, we heat up the oven and turn it off and put the pot in overnight and then resume cooking the next day. I don't see a big difference here.

• Like 1