Menu

Get out and vote.

linders

I know for some people it's much more convenient (or even necessary) to vote early, but I love to vote on election day when I can. I love the whole experience. I tend to get kind of emotional about it!

I love the experience, but my life is so unpredictable, this is truly the only way to guarantee I will actually vote. Example- ds spent all last night vomiting, today I have 2 meetings, an orthodontist appointment and now a Dr appointment for ds. But I voted last week, so I'm not stressed about getting it done.

But I hear you. The experience is not the same.

• Like 3

Dh went to vote and wanted to write someone in. The instructions for writing someone in weren't easily found so he asked the guy at the polling place. The man then loudly declared,"A write in!?!? Of all my years working at a polling place I've never heard of a write in. Maybe for the primaries but not for the presidential race." He then had to ask 2 other people working at the polling place and they had to look it up. Dh figured it out before they figured it out.

Mail in. It's awesome.

Agreed, I wish every state allowed that. I dislike motor voter and still think separate regristration and maintenance of the voter rolls every five years for all voters is a good way to go, but balancing that with mail in absentee and absentee in person/early voting seems like a good way to cut out the fraud and keep things as open for as many people as possible.

Early voting and mail in ballots make my life a lot easier and I'm not even trying to balance a work schedule. It's an even bigger deal for people who cannot get the time off.

I always get a little grumpy when I hear the "Just get out and vote".  My take on it is that it is your responsibility to be informed before you make a decision.  If you are, then you'll vote without being chided.   If you aren't informed, then you should probably not vote.  Of course, not knowing the presidential candidates this election would have taken serious effort.  

• Like 4

I always get a little grumpy when I hear the "Just get out and vote".  My take on it is that it is your responsibility to be informed before you make a decision.  If you are, then you'll vote without being chided.   If you aren't informed, then you should probably not vote. 

Yes, that is very true. Unfortunately, there is now way to ensure voters are actually informed about issues.

What really irritates me when the short language that summarizes an issue on the ballot omits crucial information that is buried deep in a multi page amendment and will only be located and understood by the determined voter who goes through the actual document. On the surface, the catch phrase that appears on the ballot sounds perfectly fine; underneath in the depths of the actual wording lurk several weighty and controversial issues. I find this dishonest and bordering on intentional deception. And there is nothing one can do about because, lets face it: most people just read the sound bite.

• Like 1

Yes, that is very true. Unfortunately, there is now way to ensure voters are actually informed about issues.

What really irritates me when the short language that summarizes an issue on the ballot omits crucial information that is buried deep in a multi page amendment and will only be located and understood by the determined voter who goes through the actual document. On the surface, the catch phrase that appears on the ballot sounds perfectly fine; underneath in the depths of the actual wording lurk several weighty and controversial issues. I find this dishonest and bordering on intentional deception. And there is nothing one can do about because, lets face it: most people just read the sound bite.

Yes, unfortunately submissions to the voter guide are by the person or group who proposed the amendment, same as candidate blurbs being by the candidates if they choose to submit them. The upside is that someone cannot smear you or your cause in a voter guide, but the downside is that you can play fast and loose with your own phrasing to clarify or obfuscate at will and there isn't much to be done about it.

But I wish they would stick an "I Voted" sticker in the envelope. I'm a little jealous that I don't have one to wear today.

I posted that the tear off stub should have a peel off sticker.

Just in case I wasn't clear for Arctic and others, absentee isn't a thing here. We all get mail in ballots and their are drop boxes or you can mail it. Mail in is all there is unless you go to a site for disability/accessible voting (which is open for weeks prior).