Menu

Math for 4th grade

featherhead

My daughter has completed CLE 100-200 Math, and then was in public school last year. This year she is doing Strayer-Upton, but she does not like copying out the problems. She has now been sitting here for two hours working on a single page. The work is not too hard. When she just does it, she does very well. I'm not convinced yet that I need to switch, but I am considering it. If I would switch, it would need to be inexpensive, and also available in Canada. So give me your recommendations for fourth grade math.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How did she do with CLE before? You might just give her the placement test for CLE. If she places lower than grade level, you could do CLE 300 at an accelerated pace or if she was only missing a few things then get 401 (all review) and move her through that at whatever pace works for her to gain solid understanding

Edited by Code Lyoko

Can she do su orally, working a few things with you on a board or paper? She's just not ready to do math alone, sounds like. And I wouldn't want to copy all that out by hand either!

My daughter has completed CLE 100-200 Math, and then was in public school last year. This year she is doing Strayer-Upton, but she does not like copying out the problems. She has now been sitting here for two hours working on a single page. The work is not too hard. When she just does it, she does very well. I'm not convinced yet that I need to switch, but I am considering it. If I would switch, it would need to be inexpensive, and also available in Canada. So give me your recommendations for fourth grade math.

She should only have to write out word problems. For rows of drill, she can fold her notebook paper on a line and hold it on the page under the row of problems, and then write the answers. 

For the record, I would not allow her to sit and do arithmetic for two hours. That's usually a no-win situation for everyone.

How did she do with CLE before? You might just give her the placement test for CLE. If she places lower than grade level, you could do CLE 300 at an accelerated pace or if she was only missing a few things then get 401 (all review) and move her through that at whatever pace works for her to gain solid understanding

She did well test-wise with CLE, never scoring below 90. But she disliked the long lessons. If she did her work diligently, it would only take 20-30 minutes. If she dawdled and whined it took an hour or two.

I would go back to CLE. They ship to Canada for a very reasonable price, and you can just buy a few light units at a time, to off-set having a large upfront cost. Take the placement test and place her accordingly - ignore the grades, CLE tends to run a full grade level ahead, especially for Canadian standards (fellow Canadian here)

Yeah, I'm considering going back to CLE, but I'm also wondering what else is out there that would possibly work better.

Can she do su orally, working a few things with you on a board or paper? She's just not ready to do math alone, sounds like. And I wouldn't want to copy all that out by hand either!

I do work orally with her sometimes, but she is the oldest child of five, with two others that are school age, so she has to be independent as much as possible.

She should only have to write out word problems. For rows of drill, she can fold her notebook paper on a line and hold it on the page under the row of problems, and then write the answers.

For the record, I would not allow her to sit and do arithmetic for two hours. That's usually a no-win situation for everyone.

I will have to try this. It should never have taken two hours. The one page I told her she could do the odd problems, and the other page was a handful of word problems. She could have done it in 20-30 minutes if she wasn't constantly playing with her baby brother and just plain not doing her work.

I think she's showing you that the "as much as possible" she is capable of is less than you want. A change of curriculum isn't going to make a fourth grader be able to work alone. She needs you (or someone) right there with her.

I agree with OkBud.  Unfortunately, regardless of how many siblings she has, she is still at an age where she almost certainly needs someone to work with her.  Most children at that age cannot work independently in math from an emotional standpoint, even if you feel intellectually that she should be able to from an academic standpoint.  I know I couldn't.  DS definitely could not have.  He learned more effectively, retained better long term, and moved much more quickly through lessons, if I was working directly with him for most of his math work.  He was also a much happier child.  I would then have him do some problems on his own after we worked together on several but with me sitting nearby working with his sibling so if he had questions or needed help staying focused or just needed to know others were there if he wasn't sure of something it worked much better than working alone. 

I also agree with Garga, we used CLE (along with other systems such as Beast) but I frequently cut out some of the review and sometimes even combined lessons, just using the new material from two and the review material from the second lesson.  The kids loved seeing some review cut out and it kept the lessons fresh and interesting.  We also did the new material together on a dry erase board and I tried hard to keep lessons upbeat and encouraging so they would be more upbeat working the review problems more independently (but with me nearby in case they needed support or help).

My oldest is in fifth and constantly gets distracted by his siblings, doodles, anything! He can do it; he just gets bored and would rather be reading. I can't always sit with him either. I recently found some unfinished lessons he told me were finished, and I made him catch up. My husband works from home, so we are making him go to his office where there are fewer distractions. Help her find a quiet place. So he gets 45 minutes, and then the rest is homework for after dinner. I can't wait two hours for math and not have time for other subjects. That's what it would be in school. Good study habits are important to learn sooner rather than later. Dawdling is going to eat into his free time. It's his personality; he's a dreamer, etc. But sometimes it's not the curricula (I use two completely different types), it's just good study skills, better focus, and some tough love.

• Like 1

The baby most often is napping during school time, but not always. Also my DH just started a new job this week and is now working evenings, so we are trying to figure out our new daily routine. If it's not the baby, it's checking on the kindergartener's work and telling her what to do, or some other completely random thing. She does have a desk in her bedroom that she could use, and she did for a week or so, but of course she would rather be with the rest of us. She really does fairly well with math and is capable of working independently.