Menu

Need a recipe

Night Elf

I want to make homemade macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving. Last year we tried a recipe with egg in it and it was a disaster! We didn't temper it right or whatever it was. So I want to avoid eggs this time. I'd like a recipe that has more than one kind of cheese too. Finally, it needs to be easy enough for a total novice to prepare. I'm not a great cook and fancy things are just over my head. Thank you!

I make mine with butter, evaporated milk and whatever cheese I have on hand (Velveeta usually).  I would imagine adding in any kind of cheese that you want would work (and would taste better than my version)! My kids love it and there are never leftovers. I don't measure the evaporated milk, just keep adding until you like the consistency. This needs to be made right before you are ready to eat though. 

• Like 1

This is the recipe I use. I replace the margarine with butter and use whole milk. It really needs sharp or even extra sharp cheddar but I use only about half what the recipe calls for. Instead of melting all the cheddar into the cream sauce I mix in only about 4 ounces and then sprinkle the rest on top of the casserole before baking. I don't add the breadcrumb topping.

You could change up the type of cheese added into the cream sauce--maybe a couple ounces of havarti or gruyere. I haven't tried this but now you've got me thinking for next time.

This is absolutely amazing macaroni and cheese. Everyone who has ever had it asks for the recipe. It's really delicious and quite easy. I usually double, triple or quadruple it. It freezes really well too.

http://xmasfun.com/Recipe.aspx?ID=28

ETA: it calls for just mild cheddar but I do half sharp and half mild.

Edited by whitestavern

Fanny Farmer's recipe always works. I add a bit of Dijon (1 tsp) and sprinkle of cayenne to the cream sauce, and I use milk instead of cream. It calls for 2 cups of sharp cheddar, but you can use any cheese you like to make the 2 cups. We like Dubliner and cheddar. The breadcrumbs are optional. I usually omit because my DS hates crunchies in his mac and cheese. Subbing crushed Cheez-It's is really good if you do like crunchies. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.food.com/amp/recipe/fannie-farmers-classic-baked-macaroni-cheese-135350?client=safari

Edited by zoobie