Menu

Australia books

I'm trying to put together a booklist on Australia for my 9th grader. It can include fiction, literature (I know not mutually exclusive categories), travel, history, natural history, etc. I just want to give him a taste of Australian culture. The problem is that I have only ever read one book set in Australia. Could any of you wonderful ladies give me some suggestions? I will probably try to preread at least some of the books on the list so I know something about what he is learning.

I use the Wonder to Wisdom list that Sandra gave, frequently. It is a good list that covers a lot of things- history and literature, nature study, etc.

In the last couple of years my kids and I have also watched some good mini-drama series which are good for Australian History- For the Term of His Natural Life and Sara Dane are two that spring to mind. The movie Gallipoli with a young Mel Gibson is a good classical Australian movie too, as is Breaker Morant.

hope that helps

I highly recommend 'A Fortunate Life.'

I have had my son read 'For The Turn Of His Natural Life,' which is about someone sent to Australia as a convict, but I know several people who think it should not be given to sensitive children.

Bethlehem books has some Australian fiction.

' seven little Australians' is very sad. I always cry when I read that book.

a book for a great laugh is ' On Our Selection" by Steele Rudd

'I can Jump Puddles'

some other books that I can think of are "A Town Like Alice', The Far Country", and 'Beyond the Black Stump' by Nevil Shute set during and after ww2

these are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

If you can get a copy of vol 173 no. 2, Feb 1988 National Geographic, it is a special ed dedicated to Australia for its bicentennial. The articles on the Aborigines are excellent as well as the history of the Children of the First Fleet and the history of Sydney.

Mutiny on the Bounty is also connected to Australia via Cpt Bligh. Kon Tiki http://www.amazon.com/Kon-Tiki-Special-McNally-Color-People/dp/B000XROEWU is also a great read for Oceania (not Australia per se) An elementary book (prob 5th-6th grade level) on the history of Australia that my kids have enjoyed is Landmark's Story of Australia http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/yest/067243.shtml

There is also a PBS series called "Twilight of the Dreamtime" if you can locate a copy.