Menu

Do you feel safe at your library?

The website says the books are found in the teen section. I guess my view is that if you are that concerned in censoring your teen's reading material, then this website WOULD be helpful to you. I, however, am against blanket censorship. I might be just fine with my teen reading some things you would not be okay with. I think that organization should concentrate on providing information for those who WANT it. I, for one, don't need them and would consider it a violation of my teen's rights to censor what he checks out. Violating his rights is MY job.;)

Our library has cameras all over the place. The only time something bad has happened there was right after the cameras were installed. A teenage boy exposed himself to a little girl right outside the children's room. He was caught on camera and apprehended by the police.

Our library does not allow children to be there unless they are accompanied by an adult unless they are at least 10 years old. The vast majority of the parents in this town stay right with their little kids anyway.

I drop my kids off at the library once in awhile and either they walk over to DH's office or he picks them up.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

I checked one of them with my library and it was listed in the teen dept. Of course, I do not believe that my future teenage daughters should read a book which appears to be devoted to sex during the teen years. I would rather it be in the adult section but I know full well that I will have to teach my daughters and then trust them to make the right decision when it comes to reading material. For the time being I am very carefully monitering what they read and we are open and honest with them as to why they don't read just any book or watch any just any tv, or just any movie.

I checked one of them with my library and it was listed in the teen dept. Of course, I do not believe that my future teenage daughters should read a book which appears to be devoted to sex during the teen years.

You know, I don't want my teen reading that garbage either, and he knows it.

He is respectful of my wishes and immediately returns any book that I ask him not to read.

My confusion over this thread stems from my impression that we were talking about Children. Elementary aged kids. Or in Melissa's words, "an unassuming child who doesn't know better."

I just don't see where children are being offered this type of material.

Our "teen" section is devoted to ages 11-18. In my opinion, 11 is still a child, and I would be upset if my child stumbled upon the mentioned books. Yes, I am rediculously conservative, but I don't know anyone who would want an 11 year old to have that graphic of a description on how to "make and drink tea" if you know what I mean. ;) I'm all talked out about this one. Moving on to happier subjects with lighter responses!:D

Melissa in St Louis

My confusion over this thread stems from my impression that we were talking about Children. Elementary aged kids. Or in Melissa's words, "an unassuming child who doesn't know better."

I just don't see where children are being offered this type of material.

It would have been in two of my old libraries b/c there were no distinctions between the children's and teen sections. It was either adult or kids. I had complained about a book I had found there and the director explained that any book for a patron under the age of 18 would be in that section. This I had a serious problem with. I also do not know the extent of the graphicness(is that a word) of these books. Anything that had graphic pictures of a sexual nature really should be in the adult section of the library(imo). So if the local libraries are at all like the last two I just left then yeah it is very possible for these books to be in the 'children's' section.

Our library doesn't have a young adult section. We've got V.C. Andrews' books in the same room as the Boxcar Children series. I'm not even sure why Andrews' books are in the children's section.

Our "teen" section is devoted to ages 11-18.

It would have been in two of my old libraries b/c there were no distinctions between the children's and teen sections. It was either adult or kids.

Are these extremely small libraries?

I agree that I would not want my 11 or 12 year old browsing the books that are appropriate for 17 and 18 year olds.

There would certainly be more oversight on my part if our teen and children sections were combined, and I assume that's the case for most parents.

I feel quite safe at the library.

It doesn't mean I'd leave my kids there alone, but I don't keep them within arm's reach either.

And I don't worry excessively about the books that are available at the library, though I peruse the books we plan to check out...

Are these extremely small libraries?

I agree that I would not want my 11 or 12 year old browsing the books that are appropriate for 17 and 18 year olds.

There would certainly be more oversight on my part if our teen and children sections were combined, and I assume that's the case for most parents.

One of the largest school districts on Long Island, and another decent sized one. And ultimately Crissy it does have to be the parent who polices our children's reading material. That is part and parcel of the job we signed on for when we became parents. I believe in freedom of thought and expression. I also believe in a parent's right to protect, even censor their own children's reading.

I feel quite safe at the library.

It doesn't mean I'd leave my kids there alone, but I don't keep them within arm's reach either.

In Oregon, I can't legally leave my kids at the library (or anywhere), even to pop out to get a coffee, until they are 10 years of age.

And ultimately Crissy it does have to be the parent who polices our children's reading material. That is part and parcel of the job we signed on for when we became parents. I believe in freedom of thought and expression. I also believe in a parent's right to protect, even censor their own children's reading.

:thumbup:

I'm with you, Pam.

The website says the books are found in the teen section. I guess my view is that if you are that concerned in censoring your teen's reading material, then this website WOULD be helpful to you. I, however, am against blanket censorship. I might be just fine with my teen reading some things you would not be okay with. I think that organization should concentrate on providing information for those who WANT it. I, for one, don't need them and would consider it a violation of my teen's rights to censor what he checks out. Violating his rights is MY job.;)

I also have a right not to have my child exposed to what I consider inappropriate material. Is your right to expose your child to that material more important than my right not to have my child exposed to something I deem inappropriate. NO it is not. And your rights shouldn't trample my rights.

that is where the questions come in and IT IS OK to compromise. Do not ban the material, put it in a place where it is accessible but not offensive to those who deem it offensive. Your rights safe and my rights safe.

Sunshine

I must add, I will be using your saying of "violating his rights are my job!" in the future! I love that one!

"McCain freaks me out, but Obama makes me want an exorcist!"

Elizabeth Elensar

Edited by sunshine

I had to read this the night before going to our library!

Seriously, though, I have always felt ok going to the library with my children. We usually go to the children's section where there are toys to occupy them while mama looks for books.

My oldest son (6), however, is getting to the age where he wants to go in the men's room and will often try to go there by himself whenever he wants to. I have to keep reminding him that he will go in the women's restroom with mama still!

Thank you for your post. I for one appreciate the information. I must admit I am a little to lax in the library as books are my passion and I relax as soon as I am around them!! thank you for the reminder to be diligent in the protection of my children. Harm comes out of nowhere when you least expect it.

Sunshine

Elizabeth Elensar

Thank you for your post. I for one appreciate the information. I must admit I am a little to lax in the library as books are my passion and I relax as soon as I am around them!! thank you for the reminder to be diligent in the protection of my children. Harm comes out of nowhere when you least expect it.

Sunshine

Elizabeth Elensar

Ditto. Its a good reminder to be vigilant in places where people expect you to not pay as close attention. Thank you.

Sunshine, the bit you're adding to the end of your posts is extremely offensive. I've reported your posts in this thread.

Originally Posted by Rebel viewpost.gif

I also have a right not to have my child exposed to what I consider inappropriate material. Is your right to expose your child to that material more important than my right not to have my child exposed to something I deem inappropriate. NO it is not. And your rights shouldn't trample my rights.

that is where the questions come in and IT IS OK to compromise. Do not ban the material, put it in a place where it is accessible but not offensive to those who deem it offensive. Your rights safe and my rights safe.

Who do you suggest makes "this list"? Who determines what is offensive and what is not? I think the best thing is for organizations like the one to which the OP linked to provide such information so that parents get to decide whether or not to let their children read the books.

You can bet that if there were some secret hidden books when I was a kid, I would have figured out a way to read them.

Guest janainaz

I consider EVERYWHERE an unsafe place and I watch my kids like a hawk no matter where we are. I don't freak them out, I just pay extra close attention always....