Menu

For those of you who use Growing with Grammar...

kailuamom

How comfortable do you feel with the program? I have been looking into the program and it looks comprehensive, but I don't believe the author has a language arts background (unlike the woman who does AG, for example). I just want to make sure that everything is accurate and it is complete. I am looking for my 1st & 4th-graders.

Thanks!

I used GWG grades 3 and 4 (after using FLL 1/2) with my dd (FLL 3/4 wasn't out yet). Now she's in 5th grade and doing Junior Analytical Grammar. It has been an easy transition. I feel the GWG prepared her well for JAG.

I'm planning to take the same route with my ds, who is now using GWG 3. What HE loves about GWG is how quick and painless it is! But I think with all the review and diagramming it really "sticks."

:) Linda

Very comfortable. I've tried Shurley, Rod & Staff and Growing with Grammar. This is our 3rd year w/ GWG.

Shurley is a strong program, but lacks practice IMHO. Yes, there is a practice booklet for labeling the sentences, but I'm talking about written practice with editing, etc...

Rod & Staff is very thorough, but the student has to re-write the sentences from the workbook which involves too much unnecessary writing in 3rd grade & above. We begin a formal writing program in 3rd and I don't want to wear my dd's hand out re-writing grammar sentences. Also, I think the teacher's manual is too busy -- the pages are packed w/ writing, boxes, etc...

GWG is every bit as solid as R&S without the heavy emphasis on religion. I started my dd8 out with FLL 1 and she was bored to tears. (So was I.) She then worked through GWG 1 & 2. I was pleased, but wondered if the grass was greener and experiments w/ Shurley and Rod & Staff. I preferred GWG to all the others and we're currently in grade 3.

Best of luck to you!!

It is very solid. We do like it a great deal.

However, it is very dry. On the plus side of dry - it is very straightforward, quick, direct, nothing distracting, get it done. On the negative side of dry - it is boring and repetitive.

Okay, I know grammar cannot be too thrilling. But, language arts should be stirring the imagination a bit. To quote Anne of Green Gables, "there should be more scope for the imagination." So, we are doing GWG 4 along side Language Lessons for the Elementary Child vol 2. We get the no frills work with GWG. We get the scope for imagination and "putting it all together" with LL.

So, I guess it depends on your style and what you want. BUT, GWG is a solid program that will prepare your dc for the next step.

so GWG does have diagramming?

We are doing GWG 3rd this year with my ds 8. We love GWG at our house. This curriculum has been a blessing for all of us. We used R&S for 2nd Grade and my son just didn't care for it. :tongue_smilie:This year, we switched to GWG and it finally "klicks."

Diagramming is intruduced in 3rd Grade (Chapter 1)!!!!

My son needs to diagram Simple Subjecs and Predicates, Compound Subjects, Compound Predicates, Subjects and Predicates in Questions, Subjects and Predicates in Commands.

In Chapter 3 kids will need to diagram Direct Objects, in Chapter 4 Adjectives

Quite a bit of diagramming for 3rd Grade - but that's just my humble opinion.

Sonja

Homeschooling "JUST ONE" - ds 8

We've been using GWG for a few months and while it is a bit dry, I think it's comprehensive and the lessons are quick. I also like that it has review.

Even though my son moans a little when we do it, he IS learning which is what's important and he does comment that at least he can be done with it in 10 minutes :)

I don't think any grammar program can be all that exciting so I don't really use "exciting" as a program criteria ;)

I do like it better than FLL that we used for 1/2.

This is my first year using GWG. I'm using level 5 and we're very happy with it. It's very straightforward, includes plenty of review, and seems to be working. As an added plus, it doesn't take ages for me to do because I don't have to work through the exercises orally to avoid the excessive writing that we faced with R&S.