Menu

article: SAT cheating

MarkT

Reuters has done a ton of articles about college testing and cheating. They've hit both the SAT and the ACT on this.

I linked part one just follow the other links on the upper right of that article - there were 5 in this series

Part 3 is the most troubling - actual cheating in the colleges.

[i don't believe anyone posted this in the past so I apologize if this is a repeat.]

Since College is now "big business" versus when I went to school decades ago - I guess we will reap what we sow.

I linked part one just follow the other links on the upper right of that article - there were 5 in this series

Part 3 is the most troubling - actual cheating in the colleges.

[i don't believe anyone posted this in the past so I apologize if this is a repeat.]

Since College is now "big business" versus when I went to school decades ago - I guess we will reap what we sow.

The NY Times has also had articles about the widespread cheating by international students at college campuses. Edited by Frances

The NY Times has also had articles about the widespread cheating by international students at college campuses.

Cheating begets cheating.

Cheat on the SAT language portions, the TOEFL, farm out your essays, and you end up in college without the necessary language skills to keep up in lectures and write the research papers. Therefore, more cheating.

Yes, I have also seen it first hand. Yes, mostly among Chinese students.

• Like 2

I find it interesting that the articles I read about SAT cheating dwell primarily on overseas tests, as if the internet doesn't make it possible to sell a cheat guide to a customer in the US.  It may be worse with the tests given overseas, if they use complete test forms that were already administered in the US, but the recycling of individual test questions means there is a pretty significant advantage that would be available to a US based student who has bought cheats too.

The NY Times has also had articles about the widespread cheating by international students at college campuses.

There was an article Chronicle of higher education in August about college cheating. Companies that have someone take the class for the student for a fee. A colleague from another college reported that they had a case of another person complete an entire degree under somebody else'should name, with his pic on the Id and everything.

This cannot even be caught by observant profs who know all their students