Menu

Anyone have experience haggling over dental services?

SparklyUnicorn

I have two consults at two places next week to pursue denture implants.  I have insurance, but that doesn't come much into play because the max they cover per year is $1500.  I have out of network coverage and both places are out of network.  One place is clear on their fees up front.  The other place does not list their prices up front.  The first place has VERY affordable prices, and I don't think it'll get much more affordable for what I want/need.  But they are one of these chain discount places so that (from experience) can be "meh".  If that's all I can afford then I will likely go with them.  The other place I am assuming will be quite a bit more.  I don't mind paying more if it seems I'll get better service/quality, but there is only so much more I am willing/able to pay.  So I wonder if I can haggle with them when the time comes.  Could I flat out give them my max price for all the work?  I assume of course I can and of course they could say no.  But I wonder how to go about figuring out what is reasonable, how to approach them regarding this, etc.

I never haggled for this sort of stuff so I have no idea.  Any tips would be appreciated. 

I did research reviews and stuff.  Also, one is rated A+ on BBB and the other A.  So even the discount place isn't low rated or anything.  The discount place is a chain, but these chains are independently owned and operated so looking at reviews across the country some say scathing things about them and in some areas I couldn't find any reviews.  In my area I found 1 on-line review that was very positive, but that was it...which is kind of weird.  It's not too new either. 

• Like 1

I've offered cash payments to see what discount it can bring, it definitely cannot hurt to ask. Sometimes that's gotten me big discounts and other times and places they've reacted as if I'm from Mars for even asking. I've saved enough over the years between hospitals, doctors and dentists though that I always ask now because many places appreciate the payment in full.

I vote for call and ask the pricing, then ask if they give a cash, full payment discount.

Make sure you compare apples to apples. Implants have some work and maybe some supplies that may provided by your regular dentist, and that will be billed seperately, but still go under the 1500 max.

Also, make sure the number of implants is what you want- one way people save is by doing less.

I wouldnt bother with a review on a chain; start with review on the oral surgeon and the dentist. if its important that the same person be doing the work from beginning to end, ask....sometimes people know they are moving on due to an uocoming marriage etc. And the chain wont tell you until the last minute when your appt is cancelled due to no one to do that level of work.

Make sure you compare apples to apples. Implants have some work and maybe some supplies that may provided by your regular dentist, and that will be billed seperately, but still go under the 1500 max.

Also, make sure the number of implants is what you want- one way people save is by doing less.

I wouldnt bother with a review on a chain; start with review on the oral surgeon and the dentist. if its important that the same person be doing the work from beginning to end, ask....sometimes people know they are moving on due to an uocoming marriage etc. And the chain wont tell you until the last minute when your appt is cancelled due to no one to do that level of work.

The chain place seems to have only one provider.  Searching her didn't yield many results at all.

Ugh.  As if this is not stressful enough right?

Did you get a referral from your regular dentist? That can be very helpful if they have been in the area long enough to know you and the oral surgeon they refer you to...there needs to be communication between the two, so you should get someone whose quality of work is acceptable to dentist. I usually print out a provider list and the dentist tells me who on the list is good for the work needed.

Personally, no. I haven't and I wouldn't. 

You can't have it all. You can't expect/get top quality service/medicine for bargain basement prices. 

Our family business is a "top quality" private veterinary hospital. This sort of issue is common in vet medicine. You can't have it all -- cheap, great, etc. We would never haggle with a client over price, and I can not imagine any (decent) dentist doing so, either. 

You CAN and SHOULD expect a full disclosure/estimate of fees before the procedure. My oral surgeon provides very clear, complete estimates prior to any procedure. You can definitely also ask if they offer any discounts for full payment up front, full payment via check/cash (no cc fees), or any other discounts. But, no, haggling is not appropriate, IMHO. The front staff wouldn't be authorized or trained to haggle, and the owner would never take the time to do so or "lower themselves" to do so. A professional would generally see it as degrading/insulting. 

And, FWIW, I am mid-process for my first implant. The surgical extraction of the failed crown/root canal was about $500 (at the oral surgeon). The implant peg/thing will be right around 1500 PLUS 375 for 45 min of heavy sedation/anesthesia (billed in 15 min increments. I am a sissy.) Then the crown will be done at my dentist. I think that'll be around 1000, but I'm not sure, as they don't give estimates unless asked, and i don't ask. (Have been using the same dentist for a decade, so I trust them.) So, anyway, my total cost will be around 3k. These are top quality private practices.

• Like 1

Did you get a referral from your regular dentist? That can be very helpful if they have been in the area long enough to know you and the oral surgeon they refer you to...there needs to be communication between the two, so you should get someone whose quality of work is acceptable to dentist. I usually print out a provider list and the dentist tells me who on the list is good for the work needed.

I don't have a regular dentist. 

You can't have it all. You can't expect/get top quality service/medicine for bargain basement prices. 

Our family business is a "top quality" private veterinary hospital. This sort of issue is common in vet medicine. You can't have it all -- cheap, great, etc. We would never haggle with a client over price, and I can not imagine any (decent) dentist doing so, either. 

You CAN and SHOULD expect a full disclosure/estimate of fees before the procedure. My oral surgeon provides very clear, complete estimates prior to any procedure. You can definitely also ask if they offer any discounts for full payment up front, full payment via check/cash (no cc fees), or any other discounts. But, no, haggling is not appropriate, IMHO. The front staff wouldn't be authorized or trained to haggle, and the owner would never take the time to do so or "lower themselves" to do so. A professional would generally see it as degrading/insulting. 

And, FWIW, I am mid-process for my first implant. The surgical extraction of the failed crown/root canal was about $500 (at the oral surgeon). The implant peg/thing will be right around 1500 PLUS 375 for 45 min of heavy sedation/anesthesia (billed in 15 min increments. I am a sissy.) Then the crown will be done at my dentist. I think that'll be around 1000, but I'm not sure, as they don't give estimates unless asked, and i don't ask. (Have been using the same dentist for a decade, so I trust them.) So, anyway, my total cost will be around 3k. These are top quality private practices.

At least at our dentist, the pricing is at least a little more like the medical industry and we all know how messed up that is - making charges for the insurance that are less than the list price and then charging more for other things like single pills for way more than it costs. The reality is that they *do* negotiate all the time, just usually with the insurance. It doesn't seem to demean them *then*.

We once had a dental insurance snafu and the dentist immediately gave us a new price. Which... sigh... I find everything about the way that went down shady, but I wasn't unhappy with the price we ended up paying so I'm not going to complain too much. And I'm certainly glad we asked what could be done.

• Like 2

See I don't agree that haggling is not appropriate.  No I would not insult them with a ridiculously low proposal, but I still think it's ok to ask.

I'm not getting individual tooth implants.  I'm talking full mouth dentures held in place by implants.  I'll need to have around 28 extractions; 6 to 8 implants, and the custom dentures.  So we are talking massive bucks here.  I need to consider costs.

• Like 2

At least at our dentist, the pricing is at least a little more like the medical industry and we all know how messed up that is - making charges for the insurance that are less than the list price and then charging more for other things like single pills for way more than it costs. The reality is that they *do* negotiate all the time, just usually with the insurance. It doesn't seem to demean them *then*.

We once had a dental insurance snafu and the dentist immediately gave us a new price. Which... sigh... I find everything about the way that went down shady, but I wasn't unhappy with the price we ended up paying so I'm not going to complain too much. And I'm certainly glad we asked what could be done.

Exactly.  They may bill the insurance $250 for an extraction and the insurance pays them $125.  Why can't I ask for a discount?  It certainly matters quite a bit to me, especially if I'm buying such a massively expensive service.  If I can haggle for a car or surgery, why not this?

• Like 1

I've offered cash payments to see what discount it can bring, it definitely cannot hurt to ask. Sometimes that's gotten me big discounts and other times and places they've reacted as if I'm from Mars for even asking. I've saved enough over the years between hospitals, doctors and dentists though that I always ask now because many places appreciate the payment in full.

I vote for call and ask the pricing, then ask if they give a cash, full payment discount.

Cash. That's all I've got here.  I've gotten up to 10% off.  Not much, but better than nothing. 

• Like 1

So far everyone I deal with is sticking with the price their business set with the insurance company agreement. A cash discount is only for the uninsured or those not using their insurance.

So far everyone I deal with is sticking with the price their business set with the insurance company agreement. A cash discount is only for the uninsured or those not using their insurance.

Insurance isn't really involved though.  My insurance company might pay me back a small amount. 

Dental insurance tends to be quite a bit different than medical. 

By law in many states, if the office is contracted as a provider with your insurance company, they cannot lower the price without discounting the insurance as well if at all.

If you're out of network, see if you can arrange a cash discount and then claim it afterwards. They should be able to send in the claim, but have the check sent to you. That's the most likely way to spend less over all. But afterworkig at quite a few offices, unless they are like a spa, the prices they set aren't made to rip you off. The cost of overhead is surprisingly high, especially for implant procedures.

• Like 2

By law in many states, if the office is contracted as a provider with your insurance company, they cannot lower the price without discounting the insurance as well if at all.

If you're out of network, see if you can arrange a cash discount and then claim it afterwards. They should be able to send in the claim, but have the check sent to you. That's the most likely way to spend less over all. But afterworkig at quite a few offices, unless they are like a spa, the prices they set aren't made to rip you off. The cost of overhead is surprisingly high, especially for implant procedures.

I'd rather go with haggling over a discount than use my insurance.  I understand no double dipping (although with out of network I don't quite see the problem).

Insurance is pointless here.  The coverage would be so minimal I might as well not even bother.

At least you are all giving me practice with haggling here.  LOL! 

One factor in my favor is there are gee probably 20 places in my city alone that offer this service.  And many many more in neighboring cities/towns.  So lots of competition. 

Where we lived before, our next door neighbors were M.D.s. Their DD is an Orthodontist. She recommended a Dentist for us.  After that, I realized that only someone like that, who sees the work of other dentists, is qualified to recommend a dentist.  I would be interested in total cost, as you are, but I would also have as my top priority, the quality of the final outcome and the pain and suffering involved.  GL.  

• Like 2

I have two consults at two places next week to pursue denture implants.  I have insurance, but that doesn't come much into play because the max they cover per year is $1500.  I have out of network coverage and both places are out of network.  One place is clear on their fees up front.  The other place does not list their prices up front.  The first place has VERY affordable prices, and I don't think it'll get much more affordable for what I want/need.  But they are one of these chain discount places so that (from experience) can be "meh".  If that's all I can afford then I will likely go with them.  The other place I am assuming will be quite a bit more.  I don't mind paying more if it seems I'll get better service/quality, but there is only so much more I am willing/able to pay.  So I wonder if I can haggle with them when the time comes.  Could I flat out give them my max price for all the work?  I assume of course I can and of course they could say no.  But I wonder how to go about figuring out what is reasonable, how to approach them regarding this, etc.

I never haggled for this sort of stuff so I have no idea.  Any tips would be appreciated. 

I did research reviews and stuff.  Also, one is rated A+ on BBB and the other A.  So even the discount place isn't low rated or anything.  The discount place is a chain, but these chains are independently owned and operated so looking at reviews across the country some say scathing things about them and in some areas I couldn't find any reviews.  In my area I found 1 on-line review that was very positive, but that was it...which is kind of weird.  It's not too new either. 

Try being flexible for appointment times.  It worked well for me a few years ago when I had an elective oral surgery. 

While doing my paperwork, the nurse went over the cancellation fee and mentioned that people would still cancel the surgery the day before which left the office with nothing to do.  I asked what sort of discount they could give me if I filled in one of the cancelled spots on short notice.  She asked the dentist, and he offered me $800 off which was about a third of the total cost.  

• Like 4

Try being flexible for appointment times.  It worked well for me a few years ago when I had an elective oral surgery. 

While doing my paperwork, the nurse went over the cancellation fee and mentioned that people would still cancel the surgery the day before which left the office with nothing to do.  I asked what sort of discount they could give me if I filled in one of the cancelled spots on short notice.  She asked the dentist, and he offered me $800 off which was about a third of the total cost.  

That is very creative!  Thanks.

• Like 1

One thing to ask about is the type of implant. Depending on the tooth there are different ways they can be installed that help in the long run. I had an implant molar done recently and my dentist was saying that the newer implants are great because they can easily be tightened and fixed. I'd look into that as well with the pricing.

One thing to ask about is the type of implant. Depending on the tooth there are different ways they can be installed that help in the long run. I had an implant molar done recently and my dentist was saying that the newer implants are great because they can easily be tightened and fixed. I'd look into that as well with the pricing.

Yeah this is not "tooth".  This is ALL "teeth". 

This is like buying a car so this is why I want to haggle.  LOL

I'm not having individual implants though.  These are implants that hold in dentures.  I guess there are ones that are like snaps and ones where stuff is screwed in.