Menu

Request For Recipes

Slache

You can double any recipe to make enough to have leftovers. When I think quick easy meals, that requires the prep steps to have already been completed. So, I might spend an evening making 10lb of homemade meatballs for the freezer, then it takes only 15 minutes to heat and serve with pasta or rice and a quick sauce from canned and jarred ingredients. Or buying bagged salads or squash that is already peeled and chopped. Throwing stuff into the slow cooker is always quick.

• Like 2

This doesn't quite fit your bill of leftovers, but it is easy, quick, and healthy.  Black bean and corn quesadillas

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/02/hearty-black-bean-quesadillas/

Here's another one of our favorite healthy dishes.  Super easy. Zesty Quinoa with black beans and tomatoes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229156/zesty-quinoa-salad/

Edited by Okra
  • Like 1

In the crock:

4-5 chicken beasts

1 small can tomato sauce

1 cup salsa

1 pkg taco seasoning (or your own homemade)

Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken.

This goes a long way and can be served as tacos, quesadillas, on top of a taco salad, with brown rice and beans, etc. It freezes great! I freeze in portions that will make one meal for my family. It always tastes just like it did the day I made it.

• Like 1

I would suggest you cook your proteins for the week on Sunday (or a day that hubby is around) and then transforming it during the week. That is what I have been doing and it is working well. I make all sorts of things with the protein. That way I only have to focus on the side or the veggie, during the week. 

An example:

Last week my husband grilled 4.5 lbs of chicken breast. We had:

Chicken breast with rice and a salad

Chicken hand pies (my family goes nuts for pies so we had this twice)

I threw some chopped chicken in with tortillini and sauce. 

Chicken stir fry (just used frozen stir fry veggies, some asian seasoning - McCormick makes one, and soy sauce - or the like)

I think that is where we ran out. 

This week we have pork tenderloin that I cooked yesterday. Tonight I am thinking of doing another stir fry as we have some brown rice that should be eaten. I would like to turn the rest into a dairy free, casserole with spaghetti squash. Not sure what else I will throw in there. Maybe mixed veggies and some mushrooms. Egg works as a good binder. If you do dairy this is easier but it isn't hard when you don't. Tenderloins are smaller then 4.5 lbs so I imagine Thursday I will be cooking another protein. Maybe skirt steak to mix it up again. 

I do know that Sunday DH will grill up some more chicken and I will have fun again. :)

• Like 1