Menu

Mental and physical Health retreats

lewber

I have a friend in his late 40's who needs help. He has a difficult family, anxiety, depression, is severely overweight and unhealthy. His wife is mentally ill and his youngest son will need some support for the rest of his life probably. He has a job and health insurance. He has a doctor and is on some prescription meds.  But he doesn't have the tools to help himself feel better and deal with his family. To me it looks like he needs a physical re-set and some counseling in both physical and mental wellness. Something like a 7-10 day retreat with counseling and healthy food and a break from his responsibilities.

Does something like that exist? Would it help? Would he better served with professional, regular counseling? He talks to me, but I don't have the skills to help him like he needs. I want to offer more help to him. He tries so hard and has a good heart, but he has so much else to deal with that sometimes what comes through is anger and unhappiness. And I'm seriously scared he's going to have a heart attack. He just doesn't look good. 

Where should I look for help for him? 

Respite, a physical work up with the GP, exercise, a healthy diet, regular counselling or a support group of some kind. 

He likely may not be able to do the second three without the first. 

I don't know anything about retreats, but I do know that in the same situation, I would be very leery of leaving the family for 7-10 days.

A support group could be helpful. That's a good idea.

He has two older kids who could help out if was gone. He does leave town for his job a few days at a time so I know they can be independent for some time frame, but you're right 7-10 days might be too long. 

• Like 1

I know of nothing like that which exists.  The state of mental health care is pretty craptastic.

Regular counseling might help, but it'll likely be a wait to get an initial appointment. 

I found him a counselor a year or so ago, and he want once and got some good tools out of it for the short amount of time he was there. Regular counseling would be very helpful for sure. 

• Like 1

I found him a counselor a year or so ago, and he want once and got some good tools out of it for the short amount of time he was there. Regular counseling would be very helpful for sure. 

There are some support groups out there for stuff like this.  Difficult to find, but check with a university hospital if you have one nearby, especially one with a mental health department.

If he happens to be religious, there are such things as religious retreats.  My dad used to go to them.  They aren't intended for this sort of thing exactly, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt.  The ones my dad went to were only 2 nights over a weekend.