Menu

Looking for a recipe for soup with a ham bone...

mlktwins

Hi all! I have a ham bone and am looking for a tried and true recipe for a bean or pea soup. I will not be eating it -- LOL!!! My 81 year old dad and my 90 year old FIL would love some, but aren't up to making it. I want to surprise them and I have a new ham bone to use. My little family of 4 are not bean eaters so I have never made them. I have a crock pot and an Instant Pot that I could use.

This is our favorite recipe. We put ham in the soup (as well as the bone) but you could just do the bone if you prefer.

NAVY BEAN AND HAM SOUP

2 lb dried navy beans

1 lb cooked ham, diced

¼ to ½ onion, diced

3 carrots, diced

3 celery stalks, diced

Garlic powder

Seasoning salt

Cayenne pepper

Black pepper

¼ t baking soda

Soak beans overnight. Boil about 15 minutes; add baking soda and boil 2-3 minutes more. Drain and rinse. Cover beans with water. Add ham (and ham bone if available), onion, carrots, and celery. Season with garlic and seasoning salt to taste and add a dash of cayenne and black pepper. Simmer for 2 hours.

• Like 1

Favorite around here is split pea soup. 

Plus, no soaking needed.  

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-split-pea-soup-with-ham-bone

I do something like that - just a simple soup recipe (i've never added the bay leaf or thyme recommended in the recipe)

bag of peas

onion, celery, carrot - all chopped

broth

salt and pepper

ham bone

you have to keep an eye on it and add water - those peas really soak up more than you think they will.

I usually make alphabet/vegetable soup from a ham bone. No real recipe - I just make ham stock, add a few cubed potatoes and carrots to boil until not-quite tender. Add some alphabet noodles (or other noodles, but alphabet noodles are what my kids like) and boil a bit longer, add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, a can or two of diced tomatoes, and some sauteed onions/garlic. If I have it I will add bacon, cabbage, or spinach.