Menu

Forums where kids give feedback on each others' writing?

Is there such a place? Or would anyone like to be part of such a thing?

I'm just thinking of my own DS10 - he enjoys writing, but much moreso when he has a kid audience and feedback (not just mom). I've noticed how much inspiration it gives him to see how and what other kids write, and wonder if there is a way to do this online.

For instance, starting a Killgallon-style imitation thread, where the first post could be an imitation assignment, and the kids could post their imitations below. It would be fun, and they could learn from each other.

Another idea would be starting a thread for a particular assignment of a curriculum, like Week 18 of Writing With Skill (not sure what that assignment even is, just picking it for an example).

Thoughts? Anyone have kids who would be interested in doing this sort of thing?

(I will x-post this in the Writing Workshop forum, too, I just thought it would get more eyes here.)

Edited by tranquility7

My dd thrives on peer feedback too, and she'd be thrilled to have a place where she could share and get feedback on writing from peers. I'm not sure if this Forum is the right place, though - I've always felt like it's good to have a place where I can post without worrying that dd might be looking over my shoulder, following my posts, etc. I think that would inhibit me and make it less valuable for me. Not that she couldn't do it now. But she doesn't. And if she were regularly logging on to post on a kid-thread, she might.  

It's just a thought. I feel like the idea of having "kid threads" has come up before and maybe never took off for a similar reason?

• Like 1

My dd thrives on peer feedback too, and she'd be thrilled to have a place where she could share and get feedback on writing from peers. I'm not sure if this Forum is the right place, though - I've always felt like it's good to have a place where I can post without worrying that dd might be looking over my shoulder, following my posts, etc. I think that would inhibit me and make it less valuable for me. Not that she couldn't do it now. But she doesn't. And if she were regularly logging on to post on a kid-thread, she might.  

It's just a thought. I feel like the idea of having "kid threads" has come up before and maybe never took off for a similar reason?

Yes, ITA that having kids on our WTM accounts would not be good (for many reasons!).

Some thoughts -

- only kids of WTM posters (with >100 posts to request access via WTM PM to me) OR kids I know IRL

- parents could have an account of their own also so they could post responses, too

- "imitation of the day" or "imitation of the week" thread that kids could post (just for fun and practice, although responses are welcome, too)

- private (nothing viewable by anyone who is not logged into the forum)

- guidelines about how to respond (at least one positive comment in each response, constructive criticism only, etc...)

- suspend/ban anyone who responds unkindly or otherwise inappropriately

- subforums for particular curricula?

More thoughts/ideas?

I don't really know how much trouble this would be, so I'm just pondering ideas at the moment... but I'm hopeful! I know this would be a huge help to my kids...