Menu

Do your children like Barbie and when? And the houses

Janeway

Daughter adores Barbie. She even has a Barbie house..but it is a wood one, not Barbie brand. She has not commented on the difference. 

However, while she claims to love it and says it is "cute" I just do not see her playing with it. She seems more interested in her baby doll stuff. She also does play with Barbie, just not in the house.

I am having a real big clutter problem here. She just turned 5 yrs old. I have suggested ridding of the house and she will hug the house and say it is cute. But her room is such a mess that she cannot play in it. As it is, now, this morning, I moved the house in to her closet. Also, she never asks for Barbie stuff for gifts, she just wants baby doll stuff. Not sure if that is a sign.

Is Barbie an older girl thing so she might get more interested in the future? Or is it more of a little girl thing, so her lack of interest now shows where she is likely to be in the future on this?

IME Barbie is an individual kid thing.

I liked Barbie (well, Skipper to be accurate), starting from around age 6, and played with Barbie type dolls through about 6th grade.

My kids had Barbies but rarely played with them.  They had a brief phase around kindergarten age of playing with the Kelly size dolls.  They always preferred playing with stuffed animals and Playmobil.  As a child, I didn't play with stuffed animals; my perception of stuffed animals was that they were decorations, not lil' critters with personalities.

I do think it is individual as well.  My parents bought me Barbie stuff and I kinda liked the idea of it, but whenever I'd pull them out to play with or set up the Barbie play sets I'd get bored pretty quickly.  They really just didn't hold my interest.  I stopped looking at them altogether at around 11.

I bought both of my boys generic Barbies when younger and one would play with it a little bit, but the other wasn't into it.  The one not into it wasn't into toys at all in general.