Menu

wow, volleyball rules have sure changed!

maize

Sorry, that sounds snarky. I googled to see what rally scoring was exactly, and the first entry started with "In 1998..." which I thought was rather humorous. And then I sort of got distracted and so on.

I'm amazed everyday when my kids come home with another variation of dodgeball! I wonder how many ways there are to wing balls at the other team!

• Like 3

The rules aren't the only thing that's changed. The "shorts" are ridiculous. (And don't tell me it's for "freedom of movement," when the men and boys wear this.)

The girls wear them all the time, too, volleyball or no volleyball. I remember when we played in sweat shorts, whatever they're called. I also remember when everybody wore spandex for basketball. My dear mom let me try a pair on. I took one look in the mirror and even my seventh grade self knew THAT wasn't a good idea. These hips and thighs are good for many things. Spandex (and I can't even imagine volleyball shorts) are not among them.
  • Like 1

The rules aren't the only thing that's changed. The "shorts" are ridiculous. (And don't tell me it's for "freedom of movement," when the men and boys wear this.)

Right! I'm OK with the standard girls team shorts, assuming all on the team are comfortable with it. Our homewchool league had kids wearing just about anything for bottoms, although those shorty spandex shorts were not permitted. I've been to tournaments where the kids wore everything from mid-thigh gym shorts to ankle-length denim skirts. Games were very competitive, no matter what the members of the teams were wearing