Menu

Nature photography - what accessories are good to have?

Arcadia

Hubby bought me a Nikon D3300 because he promised me a D3200 years ago :lol: So the main purpose is for nature photography like taking photos of wild birds flying and scenary like Niagara Falls. I am probably bringing the camera along for our upcoming short vacation so what accessories are good to have and what are non-urgent so that I can budget accordingly? Also what is a good camera bag to buy for hiking/backpacking?

Lens? fish eye, zoom, something else

Filters?

Flash?

ETA:

It came with the standard 18-55mm VR Lens and we would like to take photos of whales along the pacific coast too.

ETA:

We exchange for a Nikon D3400 with the 2 lens kit which was on sale for $700

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1573/d3400.html

Edited by Arcadia in CA

18-25 wide angle lens for scenery, 200 or greater telephoto for wildlife or birding.

Tripod. With the 3300, it need not be a super heavy-duty one, and for sure get one used but new, it should be in the $100 range.

Have a great time!

I prefer a backpack bag so I can be hands free if I'm walking to where I want to photograph, but they are all so individual- go try a bunch on and one is going to feel right to you.   

A circular polarizer might be something for you to add to your wish list. 

A monopod might also be useful- way lighter and more portable than a tripod but quite handy if you're taking landscape shots or waiting around for the perfect bird shot. Monopods will also  steady your camera if you want to pan it to catch a bird in flight. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

Oh, re camera bag. Smallest one you can use to carry your camera with one lens. If you go up a notch, you can use it later when you add a couple of accessories.

Get a UV filter for each lens. It will protect it from scratching and dust. You can leave the lens cap off, which means you might catch a few more critter shots. Bags are totally preference. Some people like a backpack bag, but I don't. I also have three bags--one to store/carry All The Things; one for going out shooting or on car vacations, and a small one for day shoots. My medium camera bag is the most I would ever haul around--three lenses (one on the camera), one external flash, battery charger and extra battery. No filters anymore except the I've on the lens and a polarizing filter if I will be around snow or water.

What's your budget? Do you have any lenses already? If it came with a lens, what lens is it?

It is the default 18-55mm VR Lens that came with the camera. I intend to buy piecewise and I don't have an actual budget since I have unspent birthday money from years past from parents.

It is the default 18-55mm VR Lens that came with the camera. I intend to buy piecewise and I don't have an actual budget since I have unspent birthday money from years past from parents.

This is a very nice lens. I have it. On purpose.

If you can find a 55-200 AF-S VR for about 140$ used, that would give you a really nice setup, both in terms of breadth/coverage and carrying small.

Get a UV filter for each lens. It will protect it from scratching and dust. You can leave the lens cap off, which means you might catch a few more critter shots.

Leaving the lens cap off would be so convenient for my DS10 to take shots of squirrels :) My boys have been taking lots of shots to experiment with the settings. I have slotted in a 128gb SD card so we don't need to worry about storage yet. We have the wifi adaptor as well as it was bundled in for free.  I'll lookout for the 55-200 AF-S VR lens and polarizing filter. 

Unless you go caving, I don't see much use for flash in outdoor photography

We do go caving but I won't bring a camera along since we aren't as surefooted in a cave. We had just used our phones. I think I was stuck in the manual SLR days in the early 80s where add-on flash was common.

Edited by Arcadia

a spare battery

Unless you go caving, I don't see much use for flash in outdoor photography

I agree. Only reason I would have a flash is that inevitably we are stopping to see friends on the way on our travels...and then it does help. :0)

I agree. Only reason I would have a flash is that inevitably we are stopping to see friends on the way on our travels...and then it does help. :0)

A pop-up reflector set like this is handy for flowers and other small still things -- and those friends! (Park them outside too so you never need a flash...)

Tamron and Sigma are both excellent and comparable (or near comparable) brands if the Nikon lens you want is out of reach. I agree with a long telephoto lens for birding, but the really good ones are SO expensive. You need a low f-stop on it to be able to get enough light in for fast shutter speeds for sharp images, and that, plus VR and just length/range make them $$$. You might find that an affordable one works just fine for your purposes. If not, try renting a high end one to try -- or at least when it really matters. 

After very disappointing results from a once in a lifetime whale photo safari, I got rid of my telephoto and decided to just rent what I needed for special occasions. Eventually I decided that having the range for everyday shots was worthwhile -- knowing in advance that I wouldn't be blowing any shots from that lens up to 20"x30" or anything. 

I love my Lowepro sling bag and moved to it over my previous backpack. But a backpack is invaluable if you're hiking.

• Like 1

Tamron and Sigma are both excellent and comparable (or near comparable) brands if the Nikon lens you want is out of reach. I agree with a long telephoto lens for birding, but the really good ones are SO expensive. You need a low f-stop on it to be able to get enough light in for fast shutter speeds for sharp images, and that, plus VR and just length/range make them $$$. You might find that an affordable one works just fine for your purposes. If not, try renting a high end one to try -- or at least when it really matters.

After very disappointing results from a once in a lifetime whale photo safari, I got rid of my telephoto and decided to just rent what I needed for special occasions.

We go whale watching at Point Reyes and Monterey Bay with cameras and binoculars. Hubby was suppose to get me the D3200 kit with the 55-200 lens during Black Friday years ago so he'll likely foot the bill for the 55-200 lens. My hubby is partial to Carl Zeiss lens. I never thought about renting lenses, that would be a good way to try out fish eye lenses. I have at least $500 in birthday money unspent so I'll go for the filter, polarizer and bag first.

I think the build in flash is sufficient for photos of gingerbread houses and Christmas trees in hotel lobbies. I'll have to try out and see, many hotels near me to take practice shoots.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

What do you guys use for portraits? I'm in the market for a prime lens and was nearly set on a 50 mm because I can be a little farther away- which works well for kid and cats. But I'm trying to figure out if the 1.8 is enough or do I need to double my cost in order to get a 1.4 lens. And some of my friends prefer a 35 mm for portraits. so...what do you guys like?

What do you guys use for portraits? I'm in the market for a prime lens and was nearly set on a 50 mm because I can be a little farther away- which works well for kid and cats. But I'm trying to figure out if the 1.8 is enough or do I need to double my cost in order to get a 1.4 lens. And some of my friends prefer a 35 mm for portraits. so...what do you guys like?

My favorite pro photographer said it is rarely worth it to pay the huge price diff for one stop. Most people can't do super well with a fast lens until they get some practice.

That said, what camera do you have? if you have a DX, a 55-80 will act like an FX 85-120. That's a great portrait size, especially at 2.4 or faster.

My favorite pro photographer said it is rarely worth it to pay the huge price diff for one stop. Most people can't do super well with a fast lens until they get some practice.

That said, what camera do you have? if you have a DX, a 55-80 will act like an FX 85-120. That's a great portrait size, especially at 2.4 or faster.

Yes, I'm using a DX and have played with a 50 mm 1.4 and loved it...but think a 1.8 would suit me just fine.   I have a lovely 18-300 but want a light, fast prime lens for portrait work. 

I'm glad I can save some money and buy the lower priced lens!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm using a DX and have played with a 50 mm 1.4 and loved it...but think a 1.8 would suit me just fine. I have a lovely 18-300 but want a light, fast prime lens for portrait work.

I'm glad I can save some money and buy the lower priced lens!

I got one. I have three lenses I use a lot. The 18-55vr, the 55-200 VR and a 35 1.8. All are aF-s as the 5300 can't autofocus the AF. My dh has the 55 and the 35 af 1.4's, which are wonderful, but between aging and progressive lenses, I need the power assist of AF-S. but I've gotten some nice portraits on the 35 1.8. If I really really had to get super terrific shots, I could use my dh's equipment,,,but it's about 15 more pounds to haul around and...nope.

I prefer a backpack bag so I can be hands free if I'm walking to where I want to photograph, but they are all so individual- go try a bunch on and one is going to feel right to you.

Oh, re camera bag. Smallest one you can use to carry your camera with one lens. If you go up a notch, you can use it later when you add a couple of accessories.

Went to Best Buy today and bought two camera bags.

Lowepro - Slingshot Edge 150 AW Camera Backpack for vacation, hiking purpose. It was on sale for $45 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lowepro-slingshot-edge-150-aw-camera-backpack-black/4420504.p?skuId=4420504

Manfrotto - Advanced Shoulder Bag III Camera Case - for carrying the camera with just the lens that came with it. It was on sale for $15 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/manfrotto-advanced-shoulder-bag-iii-camera-case-black/4852137.p?skuId=4852137

Going for an art festival tomorrow so my kids get to play with the camera to take pictures of Bing Hall and probably take shots of Rodin sculptures at Cantor :)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Actually a flash is a wonderful thing to have in outdoor photography. I bought my flash just for outdoor photography--but for portraits. For huge scenery, a flash isn't as important.

But if you'll be doing close up shots of bugs or flowers or people, then a flash is soooo helpful. It can take your pictures to a lovely new level. Not the little one that pops up on the camera, but a flash that you attach to the top. The key is to buy a softbox you can put on the flash. Once you do that, a flash is a beautiful thing. But you need the little softbox on the flash.

For portraits you have them face away from the sun so they're not squinting and then you use the flash to lighten up the shadows on their face (since they're facing away from the sun, they will be shadowed.). Same thing for bugs, flowers, what have you.

OP: if you will only be doing large scenery shots from far away, don't worry about the flash for now.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Garga,

DS10 loves to take shots of bumble bees on lavender so I'll look out for softbox and flash. I used to play with my cousin's Olympus manual SLR with flash and filters as a kid. I tend to take shots of waterfalls and mountains but I like to take close ups of butterflies and flowers too.

The 1.8 is enough.  I find if I shoot with my 50mm 1.4 wide open, I get in focus eyes and smudged nose/ears.  

ETA:  My 50 prime is, by far, my favorite lens.   It's on the camera 99% of the time.  

OP:  the best investment is a photography class.  No lens will give you better results than a class.  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 1

This is a very nice lens. I have it. On purpose.

If you can find a 55-200 AF-S VR for about 140$ used, that would give you a really nice setup, both in terms of breadth/coverage and carrying small.

Very much this. I had been eyeing a bigger lens for a long time, and now I can't imagine not having it. Not only for far away shots, but you can take amazing close up shots without being close up.

Not only for far away shots, but you can take amazing close up shots without being close up.

I agree. My relatives took wonderful black and white baby and toddler photos of me in the early 70s with their SLRs and developing most of the photos themselves.

OP: the best investment is a photography class. No lens will give you better results than a class.

My kids would probably take the photography class at the community college. For me, photography is a hobby from childhood days. I have photos of me taking photos with my cousins' cameras as a 3 year old :) I am happy fiddling with settings, lens and accessories like a science experiment that never end.

What I would love to attend is a class on repairing manual cameras. I love dismantling and fixing things.

ETA:

I do know how to develop my own camera film in a dark room as my junior college (11th/12th grade) has one for students to use. Now it is digital and digital touch ups and I know the basics as I was a layout artist for engineering club magazines.

Edited by Arcadia

I've been out shooting all morning with my 18-55 on a DX in Sedona AZ. twice I wished I had my longer lens. I used the wide angle a LOT. Left the long lens at home to lighten the load. I'm happy. :0)

Best Buy has that for $150 sale price available near to me. I'll probably swing by and get that tomorrow. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-af-s-dx-nikkor-55-200mm-f-4-5-5-6g-ed-vr-ii-telephoto-zoom-lens-black/2803038.p?skuId=2803038

My kids were taking photos of the digital grand piano in Bing Hall, Stanford and I realized that we are having a hard time getting a good shot for indoor award ceremonies. We couldn't get a good shot using my iPhone 5 and hubby's fire phone for a May 2016 ceremony at a small college auditorium. Shriver Hall, JHU looks bigger than Bing Hall.

To get that shot will take a better lens than this.

You'll have to have a long lens and get at least down to 2.8. My dh has that lens and it sells used for about $2000. It weighs a ton and has to be on a tripod. It's gorgeous-- and a lot of work to use it.

OR

If you can get close to the subject get the 35 or 50mm 1.8 AF-S for $140 used.

Garga,

DS10 loves to take shots of bumble bees on lavender so I'll look out for softbox and flash. I used to play with my cousin's Olympus manual SLR with flash and filters as a kid. I tend to take shots of waterfalls and mountains but I like to take close ups of butterflies and flowers too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844727-REG/Westcott_267_Pocketbox_Max_8.html

That's the softbox I bought recently.  It works really well.  I did some senior portraits using it and it was pretty much effortless to use and I got lovely pictures.  It would work on closeups for animals/plants just as nicely as for people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To get that shot will take a better lens than this.

You'll have to have a long lens and get at least down to 2.8. My dh has that lens and it sells used for about $2000. It weighs a ton and has to be on a tripod. It's gorgeous-- and a lot of work to use it.

OR

If you can get close to the subject get the 35 or 50mm 1.8 AF-S for $140 used.

We end up exchanging for the D3400 kit with the two lenses bundle at Target as they don't have the D3300 two lenses kit, and Best Buy is sold out on the 55-200 lens.

They have a professional photographer for the event but we did managed to get good shots and videos with the 75-300mm lens. The 75-300mm lens was also useful in Toronto, Waterloo and Niagara Falls as we have four smartphones to take close shots but none has good zoom quality.

Thanks

• 1 month later...