Menu

Ideas for course on career research/planning.

For a better career needs a career guidance . For High school students need good guidance or  a better planning for their future .It can be include lot of courses under a career research . And there are so many career guidance centers available now. In order to be a good career Guidance we should have excellent knowledge in every field . Now there are so many on-line writing resources like  cheap essay writing service (http://essayguardian.com, freelance websites provides important tips for writing and other valuable ideas for the reads.

I do one class about career/college with my bio II students - kind of a fun end of the year thing. One thing that I have them do is to pick a few possible college majors and look to print out the course of study for each degree. Sometimes they find degrees that they didn't know existed (turf science, packagaing science), and other times they're surprised that 2 things that sound similar (biology and biochemistry, for instance, or a BA vs BS in the same thing) can be radically different. We look at pre-reqs for programs like nursing. We discuss what might be useful for careers that don't require a degree, too. Is their a vo-tech program, apprenticeship, on the job training, etc? Where do you have to go to find the program? How does expense of program match with likeliihood of finding a job? There are lots of things to think about.

One thing that I've been thinking about lately is the difference between what people expecte a job to be like and what it is actually like, and also the disconnect between the degree program and the job. For instance, students might choose a major because it's 'easy' since it doesn't require advanced math, only to find that the job is hard. Or students will avoid a program because it requires 2 semesters of math or physics, but not think about the fact that if they get through that part, they'll enjoy the end job.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

One thing that I've been thinking about lately is the difference between what people expecte a job to be like and what it is actually like, and also the disconnect between the degree program and the job. For instance, students might choose a major because it's 'easy' since it doesn't require advanced math, only to find that the job is hard. Or students will avoid a program because it requires 2 semesters of math or physics, but not think about the fact that if they get through that part, they'll enjoy the end job.

This is an interesting point. I am now thinking about how to help my children compare/examine degree requirements with the actual job(s) it might qualify them to seek. Thinking back to college I remember selecting a career based on course requirements and my end job was nothing like what I thought I would be doing. I took hard classes and ended up with an unbelievably easy job.

Edited by homefree3

One thing we've found helpful--try searching Youtube for a "day in the life" type of video for various jobs. You can start to get a feel for what a job is like after several videos from different perspectives. When you find some your student is serious about, try to have them interview someone who does that job--and if they are still interested, try a short, half-day job-shadow or even a few days job-shadow if possible. 

• Like 1

One thing we've found helpful--try searching Youtube for a "day in the life" type of video for various jobs. You can start to get a feel for what a job is like after several videos from different perspectives. When you find some your student is serious about, try to have them interview someone who does that job--and if they are still interested, try a short, half-day job-shadow or even a few days job-shadow if possible. 

Excellent advice.  Thanks

• Like 2