Menu

SOTW vs Bookshark for 1st

Has anyone found SOTW to be too abstract and wordy for your first grader?  I have SOTW here, but I am not sure how much my 5.5 and almost 7 year old will like it.  I am considering ordering Bookshark K instead.  

We haven't found it too abstract exactly, but my dd doesn't much enjoy the chapters that are all about politics and lines of succession. Not coincidentally, those are also the chapters from which she remembers next to nothing. ;) 

I do a lot of supplementing with books and documentaries that describe how people lived during the various time periods to give dd a bigger picture. 

When my son was in 2nd grade, we listened to SOTW 1-4 on audio but used CHOW for more formal study. I bought the guide on RR that has comprehension questions and the workbook too. My son loved it all. I actually have CHOW on audio as well but we haven't listened to it yet.

So basically, you can do either or both. There are lots of ways to cover world history. This year we are going to work through "A Little History of Science" and the similar books on religion, literature, philosophy, etc.

Has anyone found SOTW to be too abstract and wordy for your first grader?  I have SOTW here, but I am not sure how much my 5.5 and almost 7 year old will like it.  I am considering ordering Bookshark K instead.  

I totally agree with that assessment. We're doing bookshark K for 1st grade and loving it. It CAN get a bit repetitive, in that the Usborne books have about the same wording in several of the books. But honestly, that's kind of a bonus as repetition is the mother of memory or whatever that saying is. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with that assessment. We're doing bookshark K for 1st grade and loving it. It CAN get a bit repetitive, in that the Usborne books have about the same wording in several of the books. But honestly, that's kind of a bonus as repetition is the mother of memory or whatever that saying is.

This is good to hear because I ordered Bookshark History and Science K yesterday, and it is going to be delivered tomorrow! I am so excited for it. I personably love all the usborne books, and the other books with pictures that Sonlight/Bookshark schedules.