Menu

Please share your recommendations for 5th grade read alouds....

Sunshine Mama

Top five overall:

Momo (Ende)

Un Lun Dun (Mieville)

The Secret Garden or A Little Princess

The Magician's Nephew

Understood Betsy

Classics only:

The Secret Garden

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Understood Betsy

Bambi

The Magician's Nephew

Not a bad list. I personally found The Secret Garden impossible to read aloud - all that dialect! I'd swap that out for The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, and I'd switch The Magician's Nephew with Zahrah the Windseeker or Ambassador.

Some people might find the old-fashioned ideas about Indians and class in The Secret Garden and A Little Princess a little hard to stomach. I'd pre-read online if that's a particular worry.

Not a bad list. I personally found The Secret Garden impossible to read aloud - all that dialect! I'd swap that out for The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, and I'd switch The Magician's Nephew with Zahrah the Windseeker or Ambassador.

Some people might find the old-fashioned ideas about Indians and class in The Secret Garden and A Little Princess a little hard to stomach. I'd pre-read online if that's a particular worry.

Secret garden is great as an audio book.

Secret garden is great as an audio book.

Oooh, I bet it is! Just so long as somebody else is reading all the Yorkshire bits, preferably somebody who can do it without screwing it up. (Not that I would know if they did. All I know about Yorkshire is that Yorkshire Terriers are cuter than Scottish Terriers.)

Johnny Tremain

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Gilly Hopkins

Julie of the Wolves

Adam of the road

We just finished one called "half moon." It's about a 12 year old Irish boy (I had to do the accents badly one we realized it) who has earned his P.I. Certificate online but gets framed into major trouble.

All of these books I like for kiddos at the age since they're starting to learn about the realities of life and that perseverance is helpful, even if things don't work out like we hoped.

We just finished one called "half moon." It's about a 12 year old Irish boy (I had to do the accents badly one we realized it) who has earned his P.I. Certificate online but gets framed into major trouble.

Half Moon Investigations! It's a pity he didn't write a sequel. Same author who did Artemis Fowl, right?