Menu

Alright, tell me one more time what ds should bring to the PSAT. This one counts!

week. There are five sections, and hopefully these times are correct:

1. Critical Reading - 25 minutes (24 questions)

2. Mathematics - 25 minutes (20 questions)

3. Critical Reading - 25 minutes (24 questions)

4. Math - 25 minutes (18 questions)

5. Writing Skills - 30 minutes (39 questions)

This is from Barron's PSAT/NMSQT 2006-2007 practice book, but I assume they're formatting everything the same way the PSAT does. So, the test should last approximately 2-1/2 hours. The first math section is multiple choice; some basic information is given, such as the formulas for circumference, area of a circle, etc. The second math section has eight multiple-choice questions and 10 questions for which the student must write out the answers: little circles with numbers, decimal points, etc., are provided. My oldest found that to be the most difficult part. The Writing Skills section is essentially choosing the best wording for a sentence (i.e., the best grammar).

Bring #2 pencils (not mechanical pencils) and a good calculator. I think both older girls have the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition.

you might double-check to see if they even allow cell phones. When my oldest took the ACT, she was not allowed to have her cell phone anyone on her person. I guess cheating is so rampant that students have been able to text message answers to other students, so they've clamped down on cell phone use.

Just a precaution, but I would double-check. If necessary, she can always use the school phone to call you.

Bring #2 pencils (not mechanical pencils) and a good calculator. I think both older girls have the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition.

Mechanical pencils actually do work. Ds much prefers mechanical and has always used them on the PSAT/SAT/ACT tests. HB lead is equivalent to #2.

I suppose you could get a proctor that won't allow them, but ds has never had a problem. I make him take a couple of non-mechanical just in case.