Menu

Favorite Projects/ Unit Studies/Extras for PreK and K years

mathmarm

What were some favorite projects/unit studies/extra curriculars that your family did (or wanted to do) for the PreK-K years?

We are currently doing volcanoes based on DDs interest. Reading about them, watching documentaries, doing volcano crafts, and volcano science experiments.

We also have done a bit about the human body and immune system. Same approach as above. Very informal and totally led by DDs interests.

Around 3yo:

• My kids' full-time preschool did weekly animal studies, world geography, French, Spanish, and intro to instrumental music.
  • My kids had weekly classes in dance, gymnastics, soccer, karate, swimming, and art.
  • We went to museums from time to time - art museum, natural history museum.  Also the zoo and the "farm park."  these trips often involved some hands-on activity such as holding a chrysalis as a butterfly emerged, building a birdhouse, etc.
  • We went to concerts - orchestra and popular bands.
  • We went to some live shows / musicals.
  • We watched selected movies such as The Sound of Music and similar.
  • We did some traveling by car - Washington DC, Niagara falls & some others.
  • We went on lots of short hikes and played at the park and the pool a lot.
  • We planted carrots, peas, and sunflowers.  Only the carrots survived long enough to be eaten, but we did eat them.  :)
  • The kids had a paying job (picking up leaves for $1/bucket) and went to the dollar store to spend their cash.

Those are the things that come to mind.

I hadn't met the WTM forums at that time.  :)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Oh I missed about the rest

Extracurricular

Dd does dance (intro to ballet class) year round.

Swim: did in the summer and plan to sign up for winter as well.

Other

Museums and zoo: we have passes to the zoo, science museum, and children's museum. We utilize the iMax, planetarium, and special exhibits

Parks: we go to a lot of local parks and wildlife reserves

Camping: we do several camping trips over the summer. Usually in national or state parks

Road trips: we did California this year. Next year we will go to Mass and do Boston and possibly NYC.

We plan to go to the ballet this winter.

We do library story time and events there. They have kids concerts and magic shows and such.

We do lots of seasonal science projects (bouncing eggs at Easter, dying flowers, etc.)

My DS 3.5 has soccer, gymnastics & preschool group nature study once a week each. We go to parks 2x a week (minimum), museums 2x a month & meet up with the mixed-age HSing group at least 1x a month. Once a year we fly back to the U.S. for a month to spend time with family.

For school (PK) we cover the "3 Rs", art projects a couple times a week & interest-led mini unit studies for science / culture.

Next year (K) we will be doing a yearlong study of Continents & Cultures. We'll start off learning about maps & biomes, then spend a month on each of the continents covering the environment, natural landmarks, animals, societies, music, art, handicrafts & folk tales of each.

We just used guest hollow's Jr. Anatomy curriculum with my then 4 year olds. They loved it.

Okay that sounds amazing! My daughter has been germ and body obsessed. Were you able to borrow most of the books? And how expensive were the activities? And how do I ensure I get the PreK-2nd level?

Also, would this work for after schooling? She goes to PreK for 3hrs a day 4/5 days a week. She has every other Friday off.

So far the favourite "school" item for my Ds is a light table. If you google "light table preschool" and look at the images you will see all the amazing activities they can do on a light table. We even found transparent cuisenaire rods for it. So much fun!

Other favourites include tagging along for nature study with his brother, and taking swimming and skating lessons. He is also on a swim team. He loves his continent boxes and learning about other places, as well as watching nature documentaries.

We have memberships to local museums, aquariums and nature centres and visit frequently. We also have symphony season tickets for a children's symphony program.

We built garden boxes this year and planted a vegetable garden. Ds was involved in every step and was fascinated to watch "his" plants grow and then be able to eat them.

• Like 1