Menu

Can we talk about puberty, preteen boys and available resources?

sweetpea3829

Because....GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!  

It was easy for my daughter.  American Girl's Care and Keeping of You was a fantastic, appropriate introduction for our then 9 yr old, into the world of impending puberty.  It gave her the beginning information she needed, without telling her things she didn't need to know yet.  

I am NOT having such luck with finding a resource that will help our soon to be 10 yr old begin HIS journey.  I've looked on Amazon, read reviews, checked books out from the library, read more reviews...and I'm striking out.  Either they have WAAAAAY too much information (my 10 yr old does not need to see a full diagram of a vagina and all the parts of one...not yet).  Or they emphasize too much that puberty "might be a scary time" or that they "might not want to talk with their parents" about things, etc.  Or...they are very secular in that they deal with controversial issues in a way that conflicts with our family's values. 

No no no!  I want a book that will tell him his body is going to change...show him some pictures and diagrams of what a BOY'S body is going to do.  Talk a bit about how his emotions are going to start changing.  Hormones, eating healthy, hygiene, etc.  Basically, Care and Keeping of You...for boys.  

Suggestions?  Thoughts?  

• Like 2

Yep The Boys Body Book

My poor sister also bought the book for her boys who were older and her house is all men and boys ---they laughed and laughed and never let her hear the end of it for weeks...they were ruthless LOL

She loves me so much she never told them Auntie recommended it

So anyway my suggestion is to buy the book soon because once they are 13 they've fugures it out

I'm curious which section you tore out, too...lol.

I have The Boys Body Book on hold at the library so I can preview it.  The Amazon comments (the 1 and 2 star comments) have me pretty turned off though.  It doesn't seem like it covers quite enough.  And a lot of commenters mentioned that it's pretty negative in tone.  Talks a lot about being afraid to talk to your parents, etc.  

One reviewer suggested "What's Happening to My Body" which I requested from the library and HOLY OVER INFORMATION!  

I mean...yes, my son (and his brothers right behind him) will absolutely need to see diagrams of vaginas.  But not at 10.  Or 11.  

Maybe when they're 15.  Or 25.  

• Like 2

One reviewer suggested "What's Happening to My Body" which I requested from the library and HOLY OVER INFORMATION!  

I mean...yes, my son (and his brothers right behind him) will absolutely need to see diagrams of vaginas.  But not at 10.  Or 11.  

Maybe when they're 15.  Or 25.  

See, that varies a lot in families.

Mine saw them starting around...say, three?  I mean, it's really hard to explain childbirth and whatnot without diagrams of female reproductive systems.  Plus, there's the whole "yes, boys have one hole for pee and one hole for poo.  But girls have a third hole that's the opening of the birth canal, and that's where baby comes out so no, you don't poop out baby."  LOL

Anyway, in our family I wouldn't consider diagrams of vaginas (which are really just a tube, they're not a very exciting diagram!  Vulvas have way more parts...) to be at all out of the ordinary.

Accordingly, it can be really tough to find books that work for your family (the generic "you", that is).  Some are too simplistic, some are too detailed, and the same book can easily be both, in different topic areas!

Edited by Kiara.I
  • Like 2

See, that varies a lot in families.

Mine saw them starting around...say, three?  I mean, it's really hard to explain childbirth and whatnot without diagrams of female reproductive systems.  Plus, there's the whole "yes, boys have one hole for pee and one hole for poo.  But girls have a third hole that's the opening of the birth canal, and that's where baby comes out so no, you don't poop out baby."  LOL

Anyway, in our family I wouldn't consider diagrams of vaginas (which are really just a tube, they're not a very exciting diagram!  Vulvas have way more parts...) to be at all out of the ordinary.

Accordingly, it can be really tough to find books that work for your family (the generic "you", that is).  Some are too simplistic, some are too detailed, and the same book can easily be both, in different topic areas!

Well...the boys have a sister, so they know what a vagina looks like.  But this particular diagram?  This was the ENTIRE shebang up close and personal.  Vulva and all...lol.  Again, don't get me wrong...at some point, they will see stuff like this and we'll cover it in health, etc.  

But at 10...I just don't think they need to be seeing that up close and personal.  Which is why we would probably hold off on discussions of child birth until a little older. 

But yes...absolutely...opinions on how to broach this subject will vary widely from family to family.  We tend to take a more conservative stance on sex, et al.  But my kids are not naive to all of it...they are farm kids, after all.  

• Like 1