Menu

Just venting a tiny bit -ongoing home renovations

Faithr

Our bathrooms badly needed overhauling.  We hired a firm in May.  They will still be here through September before everything is done.  They predicted 2 months.  Delay after delay.  My usually easy going husband is stressed at work, his hip hurts (and he's scared of having to have a hip replacement) and now he comes home at night and fumes at how little has gotten done on the job or any mistakes (actual or perceived).  I just want this to be over.  I know he is brooding because of lots of things but the home reno stuff is making evenings not so pleasant.  He just retreats into himself and BROODS!  I can't stand it.

Thank you for listening.

And I do know that one day this will be all done and I'll be blessed by it all, but right now ---- major irritant in the bubble of my life!

I feel for you-been there and did that this summer. Bathroom being gutted, work stress bothering dh, health issue nagging him.   It turned out to be a crummy summer.

It sounds like the folks you hired weren't organized enough to get everything properly scheduled and materials ordered on time. My reno guy needed some help in that area and I didn't bother to ask him if he needed help- I just started doing things.   Annoying!

Hope your dh can manage his brooding because it's not helping the bathroom get done faster and it's not helping you.   I suspect his brooding over the bathroom is as much about work and his hip though. He can't control those things and they are stressing him out.  I'm so sorry.   For dh, getting away on a day trip makes all the difference...something to look forward to during the workweek and a way to take his mind off his stress when he's home.  Is there anything similar that might distract your dh? 

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I was in your shoes last year.  They were supposed to be done in early to mid summer.  Instead the house was utter chaos as the kids started school.  (And I work at home.)  So glad that's over.

Try to look ahead to the time when it will be all done, clean and quiet.  You will have peace.  :)

This year I am happily sitting in my quiet house ... and the neighbors across the street are having loud work done.  :P  It's the 3rd day of obnoxious noise (did I mention I work at home)?  Oh well.  :P

• Like 2

I feel for you.  I have exterior painters scraping away at my house as I type.  It is a bit crazy-making if only because I feel like we have no privacy.  We own a 130 yo house that was never meant to stand that long so we are on a major-project-a-year schedule and it feels like it will never end....probably because it never will.

• Like 1

That is a long time for a couple of bathrooms. Dh gutted our main bathroom down to dirt in some places and put it all back in beautiful shape in about 2 months while he worked full time.

Sorry about your dhs hip. My friend had a replacement and it has made her life so much better. She is only 40 ......she was in a bad accident that shattered her hip and she suffered for several years before they finally did a replacement.

It's time to have a firm talk with the contractor. There 'ought' to be some penalties for going over the allotted time. It is a huge inconvenience for you.

At the very least establish when they plan to be done and out.

Perhaps a firm, eyeball to eyeball conversation will light a fire under them.