Menu

Who has started? How is it going?

Week 7 here now. We now have one week of outside classes and extracurriculars under our belts on top of our 5 weeks before that at home. I am keeping my kids on a stricter schedule here. They have had homework over the weekend if they didn't finish what was laid out for the week. I planned out this semester for most everything, and I really want to stick with it. I was pretty thorough. And at the beginning of the month I plan around field trips and outside dr. appts and such to be realistic for the month. This week both kids had to go the full schedule of homework from outside classes plus less time to work because full time dance classes started back up. But I planned for all of that in our daily schedule.

DD12 has struggled a bit today with outlining from the KHE for history. But that is normal. It's not an easy task. I think with constant practice, she will get it.  We didn't focus on it enough last year, so I am putting more emphasis on it this year now that some of her other skills have improved. She had kind of a tough day altogether- diagramming sentences with adverbs that modify adverbs plus the history outlining and then even just reading comprehension with just the few questions I asked her about today from her new book prologue were tough. But tomorrow is a new day...

dd14 is still my slow mover, but she is getting her daily tasks done. slowly, lol.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

Week 4. The first two weeks went quite well and now it's been harder to get everything done. We've had some appointments etc, but also DD just seems a lot more distracted. I keep wondering if I have her doing too much, but when I suggest cutting back even slightly she really doesn't want to. She gets frustrated when she thinks she's "behind" and seems stressed. I worry a little about Paris Geller tendencies....

This has been helpful to get my thoughts out. We've been going about a month. I don't have enough time. My DS7 has a lot of time outside the house, which is a necessary evil based on me needing to take a college course and then the resulting commitment to the part time program we enrolled him in. If am able to continue homeschooling, I hope to get to a point where we don't need these programs because I am available all the time.

So 1 morning and 3 afternoons outside the house, during which time he gets lots of things that fall under the category of art and some PE, plus hands on social studies and science stuff. And socialization. On top of that, he has gymnastics twice a week and swimming lessons three times a week right now. And we are averaging at least one field trip per week.

We are getting done: WWE2, Reading Detective Beginning, XtraMath multiplication, math (switching around with MM and BA at the moment), free reading, some Analogy and Logic workbooks, lots of BrainPop and science videos.

Things I wish we were doing some of or more of: Piano lessons, Nature Walks/Study, going to the park regularly, consistent read aloud from mom, free writing/journaling, using the MANY science experiments and STEM building kits that I have bought, more art, using more educational apps I have bought, more reading, more math, vocabulary, and a regular Game Night for our family. Things I wish we were doing but are even further down on my agenda: typing, foreign language, spelling, grammar, coding. My son wants more free time to play legos and computer games. 

I now have a list of things that need to change. One is starting at a consistent time with my boys (as they go missing right before their school time or I'm late because of last minute cleaning the kitchen). Another is more time to do math. I need 15 more minutes each day with all the kids.

Not sure how to fix that last one. . .