Menu

Any mystery Readers out there?

wimseycat

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have read this one. That is a good suggestion. Have you seen the tv adaptation?

I did - they did an ok job with it. It's so hard for me to watch shows/movies based on books. They never live up to the worlds my mind creates. I did like it though. 

Here's my goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDU0MDQ0MDA6Mzgw

(I also use it for my son's book lists, so don't be surprised if random 3rd grade books pop up!)

I love mystery books. These are some of my favorites:MC Beaton, Mary Daheim, Nancy Atherton, Leslie Meier, Joanne Fluke, Rhys Bowen, Donna Andrews, Denise Swanson, Margret Maron, Jill Churchill, and Rett MacPherson. Laurie King does a great series about Sherlock Holmes and a young girl he meets that eventually becomes his wife.

I just finished Denise Swanson's first book in her series Murder of a Small Town Honey which happens to be set in the fall. ;) I haven't read this cozy series before and really enjoyed it. I definitely will be reading more.

Btw I also have hold requests on a couple of the other unfamiliar authors you suggested.

I'll recommend a highly unconventional fictional mystery = "The S Book" by JJ Abrams (yes, the Star Trek/Star Wars director, written in 2013).

It is an utterly off-the-chart creative book.  There is no Kindle version, because it is a conventional book (made to look old) with 2 people writing in the margins & about 20 items inserted in between the pages.  It is pleasantly mind-stretching, with uncertainty in every single direction.

I've only read Chapter 1, and it is a large-but-satisfying effort . . . but it will likely capture ANY avid reader, or ANY mystery fan (IMO).

https://www.amazon.com/S-J-Abrams/dp/0316201642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472565710&sr=8-1&keywords=the+s+book

Sounds like Abrams might have been influenced by the early 1990s trilogy (which also had several later books added to the series) by Nick Bantock :) :

Griffin and Sabine

Sabine's Notebook

The Golden Mean

An unusual sort of mystery or puzzle for the reader, with beautiful art, and actually letters you remove from envelopes, as you trace the correspondence between the two title characters and try to find out who they are and where they are and if they will ever meet.

• Like 1

Sounds like Abrams might have been influenced by the early 1990s trilogy (which also had several later books added to the series) by Nick Bantock :) :

Griffin and Sabine

Sabine's Notebook

The Golden Mean

An unusual sort of mystery or puzzle for the reader, with beautiful art, and actually letters you remove from envelopes, as you trace the correspondence between the two title characters and try to find out who they are and where they are and if they will ever meet.

Wow.  I don't know anyone who has read those.  We *loved* them and completely found them by accident.  We happened to pick it up at the library as an audio tape for a long drive and my dh and I were mesmerized.  Marina Sirtis (from Star Trek TNG) read Sabine's part.  I don't remember who read Griffin.  It was so well done, even without the artwork it was great.    Of course, as soon as we got home we went looking for the book - this was before Amazon.  We bought the first and second books. 

• Like 1